View Single Post
Old 03-01-2005, 04:09 PM   #12
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Scones are actually quite dry and dull in comparison to cake in Britain. You often see women turning down a cake dripping in cream and chocolate in favour of a dry, fat free scone. The only time they match up to cake is when they are served up in a Devon Cream Tea; in this treat the scones are slathered in strawberry jam, clotted cream and possibly butter too. Now I can well imagine Hobbits enjoying those. But yes, you can rest assured that when Hobbits serve up cake then they are serving up something truly delicious.

I determined to find out where my idea of American biscuits comes from and it turns out they are a Southern thing. I found this website which has pictures which would repel the most gluttonous Hobbit.

EDIT: And we do have muffins too. They used to be a type of bread roll, the oven-bottom muffin, a traditional Lancashire thing, but the term now refers to rather large individual cakes stuffed with such things as chocolate chips or, my favourite, blueberries and cream cheese.

Last edited by Lalwendė; 03-01-2005 at 04:12 PM.
Lalwendė is offline   Reply With Quote