View Single Post
Old 08-19-2003, 12:51 PM   #186
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

For the first time in the history of the Barrow-Downs, the founder of this site met one of the administrators, as well as a moderator and a respected (though not necessarily respectable! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ) member, who is incidentally a BD chat room operator, face-to-face. The Barrow-Wight, Sharkū, The Squatter of Amon Rūdh and I got together in the historic city of Trier, Germany. We met under the arch of the old Roman city gate and explored buildings and ruins, some of which date back to the Roman Empire. The building that impressed me most was the Basilika, a huge palace hall built in the early 4th century. Exploring the tunnels and passageways of the old Roman baths was fun, especially since the record heat wave made everything that was underground, in the shade, look more enjoyable to do. Then we found a cool (literally!) Historic Cellar restaurant two levels below the street and settled down under its massive arches for food, drink and talk. Later on we discovered a church that had a vaguely familiar-sounding name – St. Gangolf!

So much for the tourist aspect – we had no problems finding lots to talk about all day, mostly Tolkien and the Downs, of course. If some of us *occasionally* happened to mention something that would make a good post for the Entish Bow RPG, we can’t be blamed, can we? It’s so much more fun to converse directly rather than by typing!

Some personal impressions of the others – though one shouldn’t be hasty about describing complex personalities, I will make an attempt. Hoom, hom!

The Barrow-Wight was a great host, having brought gifts for us lowlier wights (who live far from the merchandising paradises of the USofA) – thanks for the lovely bookmark, BW! He also had a German TTT poster that we signed; it will decorate his home barrow. He looks like his pictures, wiry and active, and is full of ideas, always looking to new horizons. Add a great sense of humor to that, and you get an enjoyable mixture!

Sharkū is living proof that still waters run deep – he doesn’t speak unless he has something to say. Fortunately, that’s often enough to make him a very interesting person to talk and listen to! He’s thoughtful, knowledgeable and humorous – well, exactly like we know him from his posts on the forum!

Squatter looks the very epitome of Englishness (great hat!) and is a wonderful conversationalist, always ready to share a joke or some bit of the information that he keeps stored in his astonishing mind. He is very well-read, widely interested and has a great way with words.

I hope the three of them will add their impressions to give you a more complete picture and a different point of view! I can only say that it was a joy and a privilege to meet them!

[ August 19, 2003: Message edited by: Estelyn Telcontar ]
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote