View Single Post
Old 02-15-2008, 06:10 AM   #50
zxcvbn
Wight

zxcvbn has just left Hobbiton.
Earlier, someone posted something about the Tolkien Estate's 'official position' issued by Christopher through lawyers in 2001 or so('...thinking evil of those involved are wholly without foundation.'). I'd like to point out that when you're the head of a private company or foundation, you have to maintain a neutral, non-inflammatory 'official position' towards the public that may or may not be your actual opinion.

This is mostly guesswork on my part(basing it mostly on a few things like the 'source close to Tolkien family' revealing that he is 'catatonic' over the films success and thinks that all popular entertainment is unutterably low') but I feel that the older members of the Tolkien Estate(who are the ones participating in the lawsuit) harbour a feeling of resentment and anger towards the movies and would rather not have any more made(hence the audacious 'seeking a court order banning the Hobbit'). I feel relatively sure that if they win the case with New Line they'll turn their attention to Saul Zaentz and try to regain the rights from him.
zxcvbn is offline   Reply With Quote