Thread: Geeks?
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2004, 10:57 PM   #114
Aredhel
Pile O'Bones

Aredhel has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand Wooo...

I don't feel so bad now.
Honestly, I knew lots of geeks in high school. They were the greasy-haired fellahs with zits in their parent's basements building computers that exploded chips and played D&D every Saturday and Sunday in a marathon around their parent's dining table.
But I wasn't that kind of geek, no. I was the Star Trek obsessed gal with the long greasy hair who went to conventions just because she might meet someone famous... I was the gal who was one notch from being beautiful, and totally desirable. If only I had seen it then, and washed my freaking hair more often.

Anyway, I made it to true geekdom when I realized that I'm the only person in the office that knows the term "Bounce the server!" or that I opened my Dell to blow it out and fix the fan. ("Oh my GOD, the admin is going to get you for that?! You're gonna break it!") Yeah, yeah. When I did my windows updates on it the rest of the office freaked out. Hey, it's not my fault I live with a network engineer!

Tolkienites are not true geeks. You must have some scientific interest, computer interest, gaming AND fantasy interest. I'm afraid that movie fans just don't count, either, unless they have those qualities.
So there.
Aredhel is offline   Reply With Quote