View Single Post
Old 02-19-2007, 11:39 PM   #55
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
same as it ever was I see....[img]ubb/wink.gif[/img]

Welcome to the new folks!

Quote:
Now, Ecthelion and Egalmoth were retained, and we have an indication of JRRT's own aesthetics when it comes to names: "These names are also derived from primitive FG, but are well-sounding".
that 'well-sounding' bit still weighs heavy on my soul as per Rog.

THe steward idea is extremely clever, but I will offer my 2 cents and agree that now matter how clever the substitution, it is as, alas, Aiwendil said, fan-fiction.

As for eliminating it due to it being irreconcilable w/ the later Silm, that very criteria has been used probably on every text worked on. Tuor's bearskin comes right to mind.

Ultimately Rog is a detail [connected to a part of the FoG that no one wants to lose] that could easily be grounds for exclusion. I would not rule it out a priori [I looked for who said that eliminating it was not an option for them but did not see it again on review - but I would encourage an open mind as to whether or not keeping it is mandatory w/out a replacement.

Awesome scholarship boys - keep at it!
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote