View Single Post
Old 04-04-2002, 09:49 PM   #14
Kalimac
Candle of the Marshes

Kalimac has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Thanks, Nuranar [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]. It didn't seem like a a very serious topic but I was curious. And Starbreeze, actually I was listening to my CD of "Fiddler on the Roof" while I was posting, so the the title sort of came naturally (and to be honest it was meant to be a eye-catching). And that is the song where the girl is going off to Siberia to join her reform-minded fiance, and if you've ever seen Siberia ... well, it's an even sadder song after that.

The only theory I've been able to come up with - such as it is - is that the Orc females are all in places like the Misty Mountains and safe underground holes like those, which is why they don't come into LOTR at all - they're keeping the home fires burning, probably in more ways than one. Orcs don't like being out in the daylight anyway (except for the Fighting Uruk-Hai, but well, they were weird anyway) so there are probably hidden colonies in places like those where the off-duty Orcs presumably return. I can't see them marrying ("Till mutual backstabbing us depart") but there'd probably be a good bit of domestic violence. Though honestly it's easy to picture the Orc-women giving as good as they get.