View Single Post
Old 05-24-2002, 02:47 PM   #2
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Littlemanpoet --

This is a good question but difficult for me. I would say 5 out of 5!

It is hard for several reasons. First, I am only now reading HoMe. I finally bought Morgoth's Ring so I am now the proud possessor of 12 volumes, but that's not to say I have read all of them yet. However, I did decide to start with the ones that relate to LotR since I know that better than the Silm. I'm still struggling along with that. It's taking me a while to plough through.

I have a second problem though. I do not see this open and clear evidence of Christianity or Catholicism in the book which Tolkien talks about, whether you're discussing the first draft, or the tenth! Maybe I don't have the nose for such things.

Birdland and I actually discussed this issue the other day. She and I agreed that we wished Tolkien had made the religious frameword of the LotR more explicit. Even in cases where the characters, for example, cried out to Varda, Tolkien explicitly stated in his Letters that this wasn't prayer. Of course, he's not totally comfortable with people praying to entities whom he viewed as mere angels. And only once in the book is there something which Tolkien acknowledged as a prayer--Faramir's men standing up before dinner and facing West. It was only in the notes of The Road Goes Ever On (1968) that JRRT admitted that the songs sung by the Elves to Elbereth were actually "hymns" or that the invocations to her were a form of prayer.

Having expressed these reservations, let me list a few themes that could be investigated draft by draft to see when these ideas were introduced into the writing:

1. The depiction of Galadriel which
seems to border on that of the Virgin
Mary. (even I feel this when reading
relevent sections)
2. All the various "hymns" and
invocations to Elbereth.
3. The use of what I call the "pregnant"
passive, e.g., "you have been
appointed"..... No agent is given
in these situations, but some of
us can sense the distant hand of
Eru.
4. The whole discussion of pity and
mercy as an important factor in the
story.
5. The use of the word "chance" in the
story. For example, Tom Bombadil was
in the vicinity to help the hobbits
just "by chance....if chance you call
it" (This is paraphrase--don't have
the book with me.) There are many
instances of "chance" cited in the
book, where something more is hinted.
6. The explicit depiction of providence
in the final scene at Mount Doom.
7. The scene, briefly discussed above,
where Faramir's men rise to face the
West before eating, and Frodo's sweet
and slightly guilty response when he
confided he felt so rustic and
inadequate because he and his own
culture lacked such a gesture.
8. The whole characterization of Frodo,
showing his spiritual growth (#7 just
above is one example) This could
include the motif of the "light in
Frodo's face", his transformation
into a prophet and seer, his visions,
his rejection by the Shire after his
return, and his departure for
Elvenhome. Oh, yes, also his
pacifism. All these have some
spiritual component, I think.
9. The whole transformation of Gandalf
from grey to white. According to JRRT
this was done not by the Valar but
by Eru.
10. The growing importance of Merry,
Pippin, and Sam afer they return to
the Shire. This relates to #8
above and the ways of the world vrs.
the spiritual.

This list could go on and on. These are just a few off the top of my head. If you could find evidence on the above, you would have enough material to write a book, certainly a scholarly article.

Now, let me speak to the only three that I have clear evidence on from HoMe. First, the Greyhavens. This theme was inherent in the book from the very earliest notes and drafts. While Frodo was still Bingo in the early drafts, CT has identified many examples where his father says he would send the Ringbearer across the Sea at the end. In one such note, Tolkien says Bingo would retire to a small hut at the edge of the Shire and later depart for the West.

But, two other themes were definitely later additions. In the earlier drafts of the RotK, Frodo takes a much more active role in the Scouring. He is not hesitant to use his sword, although he does tell the hobbits not to go overboard in violence. This is different from the more passive, pacifistic picture that comes through in the book.

Also, in the earliest drafts, the Shire clearly recogizes and applauds Frodo for his achievements. There's a line where it is said every hobbit will know the name of Baggins and what he has done. In the later drafts, this becomes the very sad statement, one of the saddest to me in the whole book, that Frodo withdraws and is forgotten and left alone by the Shire, much to the annoyance of Sam who feels this is wrong. This, of course, could be tied in to pictures of Jesus who is rejected by the world around him, especially as he goes to his death.

So those are two differences. But are they Christian or Catholic? I don't know. But I certainly think they have something to do with spiritual growth, and how the "world" with its cold heart looks at a hero who is essentially a figure of obedience, commitment, and mercy rather than physical or outward prowess.

Sorry, this is too long. But the topic is complex

sharon, the 7th age hobbit.

[ May 24, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]