View Single Post
Old 06-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #31
Dunadanman
Newly Deceased

Dunadanman has just left Hobbiton.
Fad versus epic

I agree with the "fad" comment. Much of what is published (book, movie or music) today is to appeal to a mass culture that also has a relatively short attention span. So arguably gratuitous inclusions in these works are present to stir quick interest rather than add to the foundational motive of the work. That's why the classics stand the test of time...they are rooted in the author's desire to tell a good story, make a point or promote a lesson. LotR is much more than a simple fantasy novel...behind the mythology, situations and characters lies a tale of redemption, of honor and the idea that good works in the hands of common folk can change history. That is what endures the test of time while all these other disposable attempts at entertainment fade from memory as the next ten come along behind. My idea of a similarly well done epic series (though a completely different genre) is Stephen King's Dark Tower novels. It's gripping in the same way as LotR because it promotes excellent storytelling and time-honored lessons behind the fantasy elements of the work. But take my opinion with a grain of salt, as I am one to favor Clint Eastwood's westerns over "Cowboys & Aliens" any day of the week!
Dunadanman is offline   Reply With Quote