View Single Post
Old 06-25-2008, 02:54 AM   #22
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Silmaril

Quote:
I suppose they had to throw Hannah and Her Sisters, Titanic and Room With a View in order to maintain the readership of the over 50 women's demographic
Older women's opinions possibly mattering to a mainstream publication?

Not that I think that this is actually the case, but if they tried to be inclusive it ought to be a compliment to them, not an insult.

Trust me as someone who works in entertainment journalism to a certain degree: the way these particular things work is that they look at the impact that a movie has made. Not all movies who make great impact are masterpieces. No matter what we say about the hokey dialogue and other travesties, "Titanic" is lush (no pun intended) filmmaking on a scale of legendary, Liz Taylor-era Hollywood. It's a throwback, and a gamble that really worked.

"Titanic," whether we like it or not, has had tremendous impact on the entertainment industry and on popular culture. So its inclusion here makes sense, 100%.

The fact that you would sneer at older women is no better than someone saying something like, "Oh they included LotR? I guess they need to keep the weird loser subcultures happy." It's using a stereotype, which is something you are far too intelligent for (and no, I don't mean that in a condescending, "awww look how smart you are" way).

I'm saying all of this as someone who really likes a lot of what you have to say, Morthoron, and as someone who is sad to see the degeneration of this thread.

StW - It's going to be ooookay. No need to lose your temper. I am here to help keep the fangirl banner flying - ever since 2001, baby. It doesn't always help me win friends and influence people, but it's a job someone has to do.

I do try to do it without derailing otherwise good threads. *wink* *nudge*

Last edited by Lush; 06-25-2008 at 03:29 AM.
Lush is offline   Reply With Quote