View Single Post
Old 06-23-2008, 11:40 PM   #6
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron the White View Post
Perhaps the staff of EW has never been to this site and read all the things wrong with the films.

I wonder where they get the idea that the films were popular and well respected?

Could it have been the $3 billion dollar box office?

Could it have been the near universal positive reviews of professional film critics?

Or maybe the boatload of Academy Awards and other awards the films garnered?

ANd to add insult to injury, the prestigious American Film Institute just this week named FELOWSHIP OF THE RING as the #2 Fantasy Film of All Time, second only to the 1939 classic WIZARD OF OZ.

Makes you wonder what world they are living in.
Hmmm...Michael Jackson's Thriller is the biggest seller of all time and won boatloads of awards. It doesn't mean I have the CD in my stereo.

On a serious note, the movies only mean something here because of the subject matter. Folks take their Tolkien seriously, probably more so than nearly any other author. I have a profound dislike for the characterizations and the scripting (which in many cases are deplorable); however, the cinematography is incredible, and the sets, make-up and details (costumes, music, architecture, CGI, etc.) are astounding. The production itself (with three movies filmed synchronously) most likely will never be duplicated. It is a paradox and a supreme irony that one can love and despise a film at the same time, but there it is.