View Single Post
Old 03-04-2003, 04:12 PM   #26
Elfhelm
Animated Skeleton

Elfhelm has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elfhelm
Sting

Well, here's Herebrand's first post!

At Calembel, the gathering of people were almost done with their introductions. A soft breeze blew the dust from the old worn road towards the company waiting by the waterless fountain. But after the breeze had died, the dust continued to blow in. The keenest eyed of the little crowd were the first to realize that a party of horsemen were approaching them swiftly.

A dust cloud hurled around the corner of the ruined city’s main road and came to a halt in the square. As the swirling veil of sand lifted, there could be distinguished 13 well-armed Riders of Rohan. Immediately after stopping his large stallion, one of the Riders dismounted with a skillful flourish and stepped forward. The rider was very tall, easily towering over even the Gondorians. He was also thin, but seemingly muscular, which he undoubtedly was from daily weapon training. Upon his head, he bore a steel helm that was fashioned in the style of the Rohirrim, and he promptly removed it to reveal neat golden locks of shoulder-length hair. The Man of Rohan lifted his face to the small crowd, and they found him to have boldly formed facial features, fair skin and sky blue eyes. The man’s facial form went well with his trim golden beard to give him a very handsome appearance. Before he began to speak, he caught Leena’s eye and gave her a charming smile. Then, he addressed the gathering of races with a loud, clear voice that spoke elegantly enough for it to be the voice of a minstrel.

“Greetings my friends and future companions,” the speaker began. “I am Herebrand son of Halador, the leader of this Rohirrim patrol. We are here today to give this message to the people of Swan-wood that was spoken by King Eomer himself: ‘the people of Rohan have not forgotten their promise. We will readily aid you so that your peaceful realm shall not perish for generations to come.’ My men and I pledge our lives to assist your people in ridding your home of raiders and marauders. We are an elite patrol commissioned by Prince Elfwine the Fair to perform special assignments for the Marshals of the Mark, and we will not leave until our job is done!”

This statement was greeted by applause from the gathering, and Herebrand returned to the safety of the horses to speak with his men. His voice lost its regal quality as he conversed animatedly with two of the rohirrim for a few moments. Subsequently, he stepped forward and addressed the assembly again. “Also may I introduce you to Ohtaredan, my second-in-command, and Ilisit Scron, a new addition to my patrol, but nevertheless an expert tracker and warrior.”

[ March 04, 2003: Message edited by: Elfhelm ]