View Single Post
Old 11-12-2002, 04:35 PM   #392
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Angara could not find Pio when she had gone to look for her.

Alone, she had savored the fruit of her talk with Ancalimon, all that day and well into the night, tasting the sweetness of it. She shivered with the joy of it, the anticipation. All these long years she had mourned her children, and now she was to have them back. To watch them grow in strength and wisdom and delight; to take their rightful place in the song of creation.

Never mind that they were no longer robed in dragon forms. She would nurture them, keeping them safe from all harm save that which is necessary to the natural growth of any creature. And in turn, in their own way, they would nurture her, and make her whole again.

It was early morning as she watched from her place, high on the crossbeam of the mast, as Mithadan and Pio stood at the Star’s rail taking in the day’s first flight of the birds. The Elf leaned against him lightly, his arm drawing her in against his shoulder in a gesture of affection and support. ‘Perhaps I had misjudged him earlier.’ she thought to herself.

Her eyes took in how Pio spoke to him gently and he murmured back, smiling. His hand strayed to the gentle swell of the Elf’s belly, his eyes sparkling with the knowledge of his son and daughter, and he laughed, in carefree delight. The dragon nodded at this picture of these two who were dear to her heart. Days of quiet ease had erased the careworn lines from both their faces, and smiles came more readily to their lips now.

‘They will be alright. Their children will grow healthy and whole and filled with all the grace I see now shine forth from their parents.’ She gasped at the surety of this knowledge, a single tear of joy and of regret ran down her scaled cheek, that it would be so, and that she would not be there to see it.

Later that day, Pio sat by herself on the deck of the Star. Most of the crew, including Mithadan had gone ashore for the day. She sat with her back against the pillar that held the wheel,barefooted, legs stretched out. Her breeches were rolled above her knees and she wore a light sleeveless vest, allowing the warm rays of the noon time sun to warm her limbs.

Her head lolled back against the pillar, eyes closed against the bright sunlight. She was just passing into some pleasant reverie when an insistent voice near her ear spoke loudly, waking her abruptly from her doze.

‘You probably should not be out here for so long. You might burn.’

Pio shaded her eyes with her hand and opened the eye nearest the source of the voice. ‘What in the sundering Seas are you talking about Angara? I have only been sitting here a short while. And to be honest, I cannot recall ever having “burnt” myself.’ She opened both eyes and looked squarely at the Dragon. ‘Do you not have some small ones you can be herding about or entertaining? Let me get back to my day dreams.’ Pio settled back against the pillar once more and closed her eyes.

A gentle nudge on the arm from the Dragon’s snout brought her back to the surface of her dreams once again. ‘They have all gone ashore with their friends and families.’ came the voice once again. And besides, it is you I really wished to speak with.’ Angara came close and laid her head on the Pio’s thigh, her cheek nestled against the Elf’s belly.

Pio sighed and sat up straighter, her eyes wide open and focused on the Dragon. She yawned widely. ‘You have my full attention now.’ Her right hand drifted toward Angara’s head and she scratched at the bony plate between the Dragon’s eyebrows absentmindedly.

The Wyrm settled in comfortably and began the story of her talk with Ancalimon. Pio smiled at the description of the negotiations, knowing full well that it was Ancalimon who had maneuvered Angara into the set of terms she had agreed to. The Elf’s mind drifted lazily as the Dragon’s voice droned on. Her head snapped back to attention when Angara told of how Ulmo would honor her at the Choosing, and name her the Protector of Tol Meneltarma.

‘That is truly wonderful for you, my Old Friend. Exactly what you wished for, is it not? Though, I will sorely miss you when we leave.’ Pio moved her legs a little, and readjusted the weight of Angara’s head on them. The Dragon seemed to have finished her story, and lay with eyes closed against the Elf.

The thick warm air was just pulling Pio under once again to pleasant dreamings, when the voice of the Dragon stole softly into her consciousness. ‘I can hear them, you know. The twins.’ Pio looked at her, perplexed.

‘Not words, just patterns of lights in changing intensities. Delightful patterns. Playful.’

Pio smiled then, and said, “Shhh! Let’s sleep now. Soon all will be back on board, and they are sure to awaken us.’ She pulled her legs from beneath the dozing Dragon’s head and lay down beside her, head resting on one of Angara’s extended forearms. Soon, they were both of them asleep.

[ November 13, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]