View Single Post
Old 11-09-2002, 08:22 AM   #385
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Gamba picked up Maura and called Asta, Roka, and Ban, and wandered back under the trees, head bowed, Maura held tightly to his chest. Maura waved a free arm, pointing at the sky, the leaves, the birds, chirruping and prattling.

Phura watched him go, heart sinking, and wrapped his free arm around Kesha. And then he felt Azraph's entwined fingers tighten around his, and he looked at the ground.

"You'll become a hobbrim, won't you." It was a statement.

Phura nodded at the ground, miserably, and then met her eyes. "And Gamba... Gamba loves the trees, and not the water. He'll go to the hobbit settlements." Tears escaped him. "And... and... " He couldn't bring himself to ask, or to say anything about Azraph's father.

"I don't know, " she said, drawing closer. "I hope we will go to the Abyss. I want to be with you, Phura."

He drank her gaze, and kissed her hand, even as he knew that it was not her choice, and could not be.

Suddenly he gave her hand several kisses, whispered "Wait here", and stood, turned on his heel and headed for Azraph's father.

"Well, Lad, " Azraph's father greeted him with strained heartiness, "It looks like your song is about to come true after all."

"Yes, sir, " Phura replied. "Yes, it is."

"The Abyss."

"Yes."

"Well, good luck to you."

Phura stood his ground. "You could come too, sir."

Azraph's father snorted. "I'm no fish."

"Neither am I, sir; I'm a hobbit. But the Abyss is a beautiful place. You can't imagine it til you've seen it."

"Is that so."

"Yes, sir. The different sizes of fish, the light, the color of the water. The music that the water makes. It's the most beautiful thing I've-- that is-- it's the second most beautiful thing I've ever seen."

"Is that right."

"You could come, too, sir. You could join Loremaster and I. And Kali, and Andril, and the others."

Azraph's father sighed. "I know it's hard, son. I've said I'm not a fish. There'll be many partings during this choosing. I've got my family to think of."

Phura felt his hopes slipping away, and he fought and struggled against despair. "Sir, she--"

"Eh?"

"She--"

"Well, out with it."

He swallowed hard. "Azraph... told me that she wants to come with me."

Azraph's father considered that. "Is that so." Then his eyes narrowed, and he nodded slowly. "Is that so." He turned away.

Phura began to follow him but he turned, and his eyes were blazing. "You're a boy. You might wear a Loremaster's robe and know all the songs, but you're twenty-one years old, and don't think I've forgotten that either." His pointed finger came up, and he jabbed it at Phura. "Deciding her future is not your place. Do you hear? Not your place! Her welfare is my concern! Not yours!"

They stared at each other, and slowly Azraph's father calmed partway down. "Have I made myself clear?"

Phura's blood ran cold. "Yes, sir."

Azraph's father turned and stalked away. Phura slowly returned to Azraph, and she studied his face, and said nothing, but stood. He took both of her hands and kissed them, and then led her toward the water, and they sat together on the bank. But now Phura's gaze was on Azraph, and not the water.

[ November 15, 2002: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]