View Single Post
Old 11-04-2002, 01:47 PM   #366
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

She woke abruptly at her name, thinking she had probably dreamed it as she had so many times this past week. But, no! There was that certain pressure on her hand as she felt her hand gripped warmly in his. She focused on his face, now turned toward her, and saw his grey eyes regarding her with tenderness.

‘Beloved . . .’ he began, smiling at her. She snatched her hand from his, and rapped him smartly on his upper arm with the flat of her palm. He winced and rubbed at it, frowning at this reception.

‘Don’t “beloved” me and think that everything is going to be alright. You scared me half to death by this foolishness of yours, and no sweet talk from you is going to amend it.’

Her eyes snapped with irritation as all her pent up fear and worry poured out in angry words. ‘What were you thinking, that you told no one you were sorely injured!’ He smiled at her, wanly. ‘By the One, Mithadan, must you be so obstinate!’

‘Obstinate?!’ he said, grinning now. ‘You call “me” stubborn!’ The beginning of a chuckle escaped him. Her cheeks flamed at his laughter and she opened her mouth to retort.

Concern overrode her anger, as she saw him gasp with pain. The simple act of laughing tore like fire through his wounds. She took a pillow and laid it across his abdomen, pressing down firmly and gently to splint the injured flesh and muscle. ‘Here. You can do this yourself.’ she said, guiding his hands into place. She watched as his breathing became more regular, the pain subsided, and his face relaxed.

‘Thank you.’ he whispered, looking at her.

He reached for her hand once more. And this time, she took his between hers, and kissed his fingertips, all anger gone now. Relief flooded in - that he was here, with her, alive. He held her gaze with his, and traced the curve of her jaw line with the back of his hand. She pressed into the pressure of his caress, and sighed.

‘Beloved!’ he murmured, his arm dropping to rest across his chest, his eyelids shutting as sleep and Idril’s elixir pulled him under.

She looked upon his sleeping form and smiled. Weariness assailed her, and she yawned widely. Pulling a blanket from the foot of the bed for warmth, she curled up beside him at ease, and dropped quickly into sleep.

[ November 04, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]