View Single Post
Old 02-01-2005, 07:18 AM   #34
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yavanna II
I don't know why, but after learning that the author of my fave books was a devout Roman Catholic, I have desired to deepen my faith... and I'm reviving it now.
That's quite a significant influence! I think for me LotR had a slightly opposite effect in the end. I would have identified myself as a definite Christian until I was about 15, but from reading LotR I was diverted onto reading more about the 'old' religions, and the more I read, the more I realised I was on the wrong path (not wrong per se, just wrong for me, you understand).

But who are these "older geeks" you speak of, yavanna II? I am intrigued by the idea of them. Are they wizened spectacle-wearing folk clutching circuit boards instead of the mythic swords they desire? Do they cling to their original Star Wars toys as though they were ancient relics? Or hark back to the early days of the Space Invader machine with a misty fondness about their eyes? Am I an "older geek" too? Halfway to the great fan convention in the sky...