View Single Post
Old 12-02-2003, 05:31 PM   #189
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Andreth:

Although the thunderclouds had cleared by early morning, the sky was still a cheerless grey, and the streets within the city were ankle deep in mud. Deep rutted tracks criss-crossed the ground making it hazardous to navigate a wagon through the narrow lanes at anything faster than a crawl.

Breelanders had arisen from their beds to hear the grim news of what had taken place the night before. Neighbors traded stories over the back fence, some of them grossly distorted, while Berilac's messengers went from neighborhood-to-neighborhood, and even door-to-door, to try and dispel the wildest rumors. But even when folk were given the correct information, the townsmen were sober, even glum. They huddled together in small groups grumbling and complaining, debating what the city's next move should be.

Mayor Harald and Berilac lost no time in organizing volunteers to take on the new tasks that needed to be done and trying to restore some sense of order and optomism among the citizens at large. Yet, in all the busy preparations, few stopped to speak with the children, at least using words that the little ones could understand. There was too much to do in too short a time.

Andreth was the first to notice that something was wrong. Usually in the morning, before the schoolday started, a small group of children played outside under her window, throwing balls or chasing each other around the outer walls of the Inn in a spirited game of tag. This morning, there were no children to be seen. The adults who had accompanied them to school quickly hustled them up the steps and inside the Inn where things seemed a little safer than out on an open street.

Andreth soon discovered that it was difficult to focus on regular lessons. Her own mind was wandering. She could see the same was true for the children, many of whom seemed upset. Recognizing that she would be better off dealing with the problem head on, Andreth told the children to set aside their slates and chalk, and then announced that they would be doing something different today.

For a moment she surveyed all the children sitting before her, and in each pair of eyes she read a different story. A few were angry and others afraid. Some swaggered around announcing their presence to the world, while others cowered in the corners hoping that no one would see them. One or two looked determined and eager to make a difference. But, wherever she looked, she could see signs that the events of last night had left its mark on every child in the room. In this way, at least, Lilac had been right.

Big or little, her students were finally united.....united in their common fear of the enemy and the need to defend their families and homes. This is what she'd been working for. This is what she'd wanted to happen. But at what cost?

Andreth sighed and stood up, struggling to put her feelings into words, "I know that everyone here heard what happened last night. A group of bandits attacked the Farroweed farm and carried away many of their belongings. Thankfully, no one was hurt, and Mayor Harald and Ranger Berilac are taking steps so it won't happen again."

"But I know I was very frightened when I heard this, and I imagine you were too. Maybe this morning, we'll set aside our regular lessons. We'll take a little time to talk about what happened and how you feel about it, and maybe some of the things you and your family can do to help make things better."

"Then, when we've talked things out a little, we'll go have a look at that storeroom, and finish straightening all the supplies and food. I think we'll be getting a lot more things over the next few days."

Kali stuck up his hand and waved it vigorously in front of Andreth's nose, asking, "Mima says I can't go work on the hedge anymore with Berilac. In fact, I can't go outside the walls at all. We all have to stay here. Why not? I liked helping the Ranger. And I was good at it."

"Yes, I suppose you were. All of you... You have nimble fingers and sharp eyes. But it's still wet out there and quite raw. It would be too easy to catch cold. Plus, I badly need your help in the Inn. We may soon be flooded with guests, and we need to make lists of all the food."

Kali looked up again and lowered his voice, "I think it's because she's afraid.... She's afraid the bad men will come again."

Andreth nodded, "Yes, she wants you to be safe. We're doing everything we can to be sure no one gets hurt. So you need to be careful and do what your parents say so they can take care of you."

Andreth looked expectently around the class, asking if anyone else had something they'd like to add....