View Single Post
Old 12-02-2003, 01:46 AM   #186
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Novnarwen's post

Hedgar laid his eye over the mills, his mills... And his wife’s of course... and... his son's. The fat hobbit man called on Fippi, who apparently but not surprisingly was busy, climbing trees. In fact, the tallest trees in the area. Hedgar listened, waiting for some sort of an answer from Fippi. First, a tree branch broke with a ’crick-crack’ . This was followed by the sound of two feet or a back, (Hedgar couldn't tell the difference) hitting the ground.

"Sonny?" Hedgar called again. A deep sigh was heard before two springing feet made sure that Fippi was at least alive. Hedgar stared towards the door, hearing his son come closer and closer. Hedgar turned as he opened the door for his son, "Come on boy," he urged. To the Hobbit's surprise it wasn't Fippi, it was another hobbit man. "Fippi?" Hedgar said, this being his first reaction. "Hmm. Can I help you?" Hedgar muttered, as he realised he had called this fellow a boy...

"Well, I have a message," he said, trying to hide his big smile. Hedgar grew red, and understood how embarrassing this was, for him, and perhaps for this messenger also.

"There has been much going on lately," the messenger started. Hedgar opened his eyes wide
open, and listened to the hobbit's message.

"There is work to do then," Hedgar said with determination, when the man had finished. He nodded, while giving a faint smile. Hedgar continued;" The hedge! We must finish it! Repair it!" The volume of his voice had filled the air. The messenger looked almost frightened by Hedgar's sudden outbreak, even though it was mere eagerness to get it all done before another attack. Hedgar kept his eyes on the messenger, but realised soon enough that he was probably sick of standing there at the doorstep, and the Hobbit man invited the messenger in.

"You're too kind," he lied. "But I really have to get going," he continued, running off again. Hedgar laughed. He hadn't by chance bored him? Or scared him off?

"Fippi?" Hedgar called again, as he stepped inside. Rosie appeared behind Hedgar, telling him that Fippi was already inside. The husband looked questioningly at his wife, but she waved him off, telling him that the boy sneaked in earlier, because he didn't want to get his father cranky.

"So, what was all this about?" Rosie asked. Hedgar had to retell the story, this time being charismatic, and not desperate. "So, do we want to have a family in our house?" Rosie asked.

[ 1:19 PM December 04, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]