View Single Post
Old 11-18-2003, 06:06 PM   #162
Arestevana
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arestevana has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Kirima halted her nervous pacing of the camp's perimeter as Kandel joined her. "Father is going to bring every ranger known to man here," he said, smirking. This echoed Kirima's earlier thoughts, but she felt that it would be rude to say so.

Kandel turned to her and spoke again. "I didn't get your opinion on the worth of these men. D'you think they will put up a good fight?" Kirima gave a small, rueful smile and sighed. "I don't know." She admitted. "Rudgar will vouch for them, if you ask him. But I don't feel I can trust any of them much. Though probably further than I could throw them." She added, laughing.

The smile did not last long. She shook her head, sighing, and continued. "Will they put up a good fight? When is a fight good? They may fight well, if that is what you mean, for they seem to have much skill and experience. But blood will be spilled on any account, whether they fight well or no." And she thought, 'We have reversed roles, all of us. We are the ones who attack, pillage, murder. And the Breelanders will take our place. When we take - if we take - the town, where will they go?'

Shaking herself out of the reflection, Kirima glanced up at Kandel. "I think these new recruits can fight. I don't trust them, I don't like them, but I think they will help us win the town."