View Single Post
Old 01-27-2019, 08:20 PM   #19
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1) & 2) Agreed.

3) Nice that both of you like it.

4) Agreed.

5) Yes, it clearly is cannon that Gandalf did not know from whom he got the key and the map.

6) It is true that the dwarves were employed as road menders, but here the perspective is different: If we would make this change we would state that the Hobbits employed the dwarves as road menders. Do we konw that for sure? I don’t think so.

7) & 8) Agreed.

9) Okay, I see that I did not reach what I wanted. I think this will make my goal clearer:
Quote:
… There all the company mounted again.> TS-QE-36<HoMe 6;From Weathertop to the Ford The Road looped away southward, towards the river> TS-QE-37<HoMe 6;From Weathertop to the Ford {‘That is} Loudwater, the Bruinen of Rivendell. {,’ answered Strider. ‘}The Road {runs}run along it for many leagues to the Ford.{’}>
TS-QE-38<Appendix A The story is told elsewhere of what came {of that meeting: of the strange plan that Gandalf made for the help of Thorin}after TS-QE-38.1<Hobbit one of the ponies took fright at nothing and bolted{. He} and got into {the}that river before they could catch him>, and how Thorin and his companions set out from {the Shire}Rivendell on the quest of the Lonely Mountain that came to great ends unforeseen.>FY-HL-15b<
Of the Finding of the Ring
>TS-FR-00.5<ORP {the}The matter would scarcely have concerned later history, or earned more than a note in the long annals of the Third Age, but for an ‘accident’ by the way.>TS-FR-01b<LotR; Of the Finding of the Ring The party was assailed by Orcs in a high pass of the Misty Mountains as they went towards Wilderland; …
10) Agreed.

11) A good addition. And I think we should keep more of it. What about this:
Quote:
… and reared once again the dark towers of Barad-dûr. TS-QE-44<The Quest of Erebor, Appendix And yet that was not his original plan; and it was in the end a mistake. <The Quest of Erebor, Appendix {They will}Sauron and Smaug would have helped one another{.” And they certainly would have done so,} if {I}the Council had not attacked Dol Guldur at the same time.> Resistance still had somewhere where it could take counsel free from the Shadow.{ How could the Ringbearer have escaped, if there had been no Lórien or Rivendell?} And those places might have fallen{, I think,} if Sauron had thrown all his power against them first, and not spent more than half of it in the assault on Gondor.> And in that year the White Council met for the last time, …
12) Realy a good catch. Agreed.

13) It is so good for the quality of our text to have reader who gives feed back.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote