View Single Post
Old 01-06-2004, 09:27 AM   #8
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Even if Maglor had stayed among the living for many many years, wouldn't he eventually have faded as is the wont of the Elves? I seem to recall that if an Elf stays corporeal for long enough, he or she will eventually fade and become insubstantial--I always imagine Maglor wandering the shores of Middle Earth, ever singing, but being mostly faded, he would sound more like voices on the wind and would be seen by none who lived. Of course I have not read all the histories, so this may be covered in something I haven't seen. In some ways this legend falls under the heading of those explanations that Tolkien gives for the particular characteristics of a given place, such as the echoes of the Lammoth...maybe the sounds of the Sea are mixed with Maglor's lament and whoever listens closely could make it out...

Cheers!
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote