View Single Post
Old 03-19-2004, 12:26 PM   #90
Theron Bugtussle
Wight

Location: Blowing the froth off a couple in this quaint little pub in Michel Delving.
Theron Bugtussle has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up Look what happened while I was gone

Quote:
Originally posted by Lush
So one of the most beautiful aspects of life in America is that everyone can...spout the most profoundly stupid stuff you might hear on this side of Western Civilization.

Ah, liberty.
Indeed. It is also fantastically refreshing that yahoos like myself can both own and tote weapons of individual destruction (firearms) in this great country. But alas, that is for a different forum.

HerenIstarion, not a problem in the world. Enjoy talking to myself after all.

Saucepan Man, ...clearly there is no...formal "belief system" ...which advocates the banning of books such as LotR as one of its precepts....

Perhaps there is, I was just wanting to see it defined. I understand and agree with your point that some people believe (at least in their gut) that their religion prohibits things like LotR and can arrive at some justification for a ban.

On the other hand, individuals such as Yusko the Ranter...

Also affectionately known as Yusko the Rant. Feel free to use these terms interchangeably.

...considers any involvement with them merits eternal damnation.

That would be the non-Roman Catholic "eternal damnation without chance for Purgatory-like parole!" Yusko the Rant willingly skates on the thin ice of his own eternal destiny by even becoming polluted with talking about such vile sin to us ignorant souls.

I think that you are interpreting people's use of the word "right" rather too narrowly.

Probably my destiny, my personal cross to bear, if you will. You are correct, of course. As long as people read my own rants, think about them (as in, "think about what you are saying"), then go on their merry ways, I am happy.

And finally, this "restriction on freedom of speech" is, in my opinion, very much within the realm of your proposed "...very limited circumstances (such as where necessary...to protect children..." . And so this is parental, and therefore, derivatively, school authority that can debate and decide this for (on behalf of) the children. Which you are welcome to debate and/or debunk at will.