View Single Post
Old 08-28-2012, 05:23 PM   #23
Alfirin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Alfirin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
Personally, I think that would have been brilliant, for Radagast to end up with this gigantic tower. He'd probably turn it into a massive greenhouse.
Actually, in circumstances where the tower was an issue (i.e. one where Aragorn decided that Isengard/Orthanc needed to be at least partially rebuilt (it is a major watchtower after all) Radagast might actually be the best all around choice. Anyone residing at Isengard in the 4th age is going to have to deal with having Ents as close neigbors, Ents who 1. Are now well aware of what they can do if someone at Isengard does things they do not care for and 2. now have Royal Legal Title to the whole forest (i.e. if they defend thier rights, the King is more than likey to come in on thier side, not the side of the interlopers.) In short, anyone put in charge of Isengard better be someone the Ents will approve of. And Radagast might easily fit that bill. He is well versed in lore (even a wizard considered "dim" by the standards of his bretheren is probably quite wise by mannish standards) likes solitude, has an avowed interest in doing what such a job would actually majorlly entail (Keeping and Protecting Fangorn) and as Yavanna's emissary, is likey the Wizard dearest at heart to the Children of Yavanna. Treebeard is fond of Gandalf, but I imagine a wizard who has made the preservation of nature his whole life's calling and values it above the affairs of Men and Elves would be truly one Ents would love (Beren likes him, and he sort of half animal).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
Interesting notion. Aule wasn't good at having none-evil maiar, was he?
I think the problem is as Gandalf saw it. Aule is a Maker, and so are those who serve him. To be a maker is in a certain sense to also be a destroyer (you can't make without breaking first) and posessed with a curiosity as to how things are put together. And as Gandalf says "He who breaks a thing to see how it is made does a wicked act" (or something like that) To be gifted with making comes with a belief that you can make better than that which already is, and that pride is an easy one to fall from.
Alfirin is offline   Reply With Quote