View Single Post
Old 02-20-2004, 06:37 PM   #156
Theron Bugtussle
Wight

Location: Blowing the froth off a couple in this quaint little pub in Michel Delving.
Theron Bugtussle has just left Hobbiton.
Question Search Problem Persists...

Quote:
Originally posted by Mister Underhill
Session problems – Try setting the “Automatically login...” setting to “yes” anyway and manually logging out when you’re done. If that doesn’t work, I’d guess that it has something to do with your browser and its security/privacy settings. I have not experienced this problem. Are you using an offbeat browser of some sort?
Okay, I did this. I tested that I can still manually log out, which suits me fine. And I seem to no longer have any timing out issues, as tested on this lengthy (and time consuming) reply. Thanks, Mr. U.

Oh, and as for my browser:

Microsoft Internet Explorer
Version: 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2.030422-1633

Running on MS Windows XP Professional version 5.1 (build 2600 blah, blah...)

Quote:
Originally posted by Mister Underhill
Searching – The search index does not log common words (such as “a”, “and”, “the”, etc.) for obvious reasons. Try a less common search word. Also note that the “Search By User Name” has two option buttons: “Match exact name” and “Match partial name”. I have used the AND, OR, and NOT operators successfully, so they’re definitely working if used properly.
Yes, I understood the fruitlessness of using small words and articles. Is there some prescribed list of words that are indexed? (You refer to a search index.)

My searching problem persists. Perhaps I am using it improperly, but I am used to using many different internet search functions.

Here is a chart of search results I just performed to try to find the example post I made in the movie forum ROTK Minor Change Wishlist . (You can find my post by opening the first page of the thread and then Edit - Find on this page - "Theron".) The entire text of my post there follows:
Quote:
Originally posted by Theron Bugtussle

Shakespeare is all sword fights (battles) in Jackson's view.

Agreed: More Tolkien text (in dialog and story line), less PJ improvements.

Monumentalness should be a word for what I know you are describing!
Perhaps you can try these same searches to see if you get different results.

Note: All these searches were done specifying only "The Movies" forum and "Search entire post":

[FONT=courier new][list=1][*]Search...................Search by......Exact/Partial....Find/
Keyword...................User ID..........User ID.......Fail
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -[*]Tolkien..................Theron Bugtussle..Exact.........Fail[*]Tolkien..................Theron*...........Partial .......Fail[*]Tolkien..................Theron............Partial .......Fail[*]Tolkien..................BDhobbit..........Exact.. .......Fail[*]Tolkien AND Shakespeare..n/a...............n/a...........Fail[*]Shakespeare..............n/a...............n/a...........Fail[*]Tolkien..................n/a...............n/a..........~Find~[/list=1][/FONT] ~Find~ = Search found 11 threads, none of them was the example thread I was seeking.