View Single Post
Old 05-17-2003, 01:24 AM   #17
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

OK, this is a little bit of a long story, but I don't think anything like this has happened to you.
I attended the screening of TTT down in Portland Oregon that was attended by Sean Astin. Now Sean talked for about 45 minutes answering all sorts of questions and inquiries about his life and career. When he was done and he had made his grand exit, the entire crowd was very pumped up and excited (this is the way people usually are when they have just had this kind of experience). They started the movie and of course the crowd was clapping all the time, especially whenever a charater made their first appearance on screen. I actually thought this was really great (because I had been to many showings where people were not as involved in the film as I would have liked). But midway through the film people started yelling out stuff when certain parts happened. Like one of the most notable was when Eowyn is swinging the sword around and Aragorn comes over and says that she has great skill with a blade. Then she talks about how women of Rohan do not fear battle or death, and then Aragorn asks "Well what do you fear then" and when she answered a large group of people in the theater yelled out...
"CLOWNS!"
Now everyone knows that she said a "cage", but I actually thought that saying clowns was kind of funny. But it ended up that the manager was sitting in on the screening and watching the movie for the first time (which is his and only fault, he should have seen it before, he works for a movie theater for gosh sakes!) So I guess he sent a message up to the projector person and they stopped the Movie! We were all very surprised at this. At first I thought (because it was after midnight) that it was the time that the theater had to close, so they were not going to show the rest of the film (I would not have been mad about this, I definitely got my money's worth with Sean Astin just being there). But it actually was because we were too noisy. The manager got up, gave us a lecture about how this was not the "Rocky Horror Picture Show" and how we should be more respectful because people were actually trying to watch the film. After this I barely heard a peep in the theater until after the film was over [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] which I actually was not really happy about, because being involved with the film is very, very fun.

Note: It is not that I condone this kind of behavior during movies. I just think that if you have seen the film a few times, and most of the theater has seen it a few times. That it is a great idea to be involved with what is occuring on screen. And besides we had some very big fans attend this screening, there were people dressed in costume (there was an Aragorn and Arwen that were amazing) and multiple people wearing clokes (I had my Lorien pin, and I was not the only one)