View Single Post
Old 05-16-2010, 04:31 AM   #48
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
But d'you all know what, since this turning more and more into a quote quiz after all (and maybe predictably so, although I didn't foresee it when I started it) I've been thinking whether we shouldn't try to establish some order of procedure rather than go on posting new translations while there are still a lot unidentified. So if you think this is fun enough to continue, I suggest we* start a new thread in Quotable Quotes**, and either
  • repost all hitherto unidentified quotes there, and whoever guesses the last one gets to ask a new one, or
  • we all reveal the quotes to our hitherto unidentified translations on this thread, and start afresh on the other one.
Seeing how weird some of the results have turned out, it might also be wise to set a maximum of e.g. 10 or 25 translation rounds.
Thoughts, suggestions, criticism?
*(probably meaning myself, as the original thread owner, but I'd be perfectly fine with someone else doing it once we've agreed on how to handle it.)
**(Yes, Urwen, I know you've tried to do that already... shall we just say, great minds are sometimes ahead of their time and therefore misunderstood by their contemporaries?)
A similar Game thread started already as early as 2000 Another mistranslation ! and lasted until 2005

And this one:Lost in Translation
People used this to translate, something very like the site Pitchwife found.