View Single Post
Old 06-17-2020, 01:59 PM   #5150
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath View Post
In the game we just played, for my own personal interest, I tried to keep to G55's idea of no more than the box size for posts. I can't say it was a success.
And here I was wondering whether the change in your posting style was perhaps indicative of a special role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
I think it was Legate who said when he thinks of new roles or experiments the question is "is this phantom-proof" is a good general guide to follow.
Definitely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikae View Post
Well, I offered to mod the next game, and was thinking late July/early August for the start, but I have to say, I was never really wild about the short posts idea, and even less so if it's just a way to eliminate the long analyses which, to me, are a big part of Barrowdowns WW, even if I'm usually not the worst culprit. For that matter, "double post" restrictions would really cramp my style (I can't seem to help myself!)
I get your points, and I'd definitely be against double post restrictions myself (what do you do when you're online at a time when nobody else is around?). To be sure, counting characters and policing people's posting styles isn't my idea of fun either, and I'd rather have more spontaneity than less -- but you can be spontaneous in a brief post as well as in a long one. Maybe more so sometimes. Think punk rock vs prog rock.
As for the long analyses, yes they're kind of a style element of BD WW, and though I rarely find the time to post them myself I often find them useful (as long as they're not half a page and include the analysed player's shopping and laundry lists with commentaries and footnotes). It's the combination of long posts & lots of posts which I found daunting at times in the last two games -- like, when I finally get to play at about 3 hours to DL after a long day of work, dinner and a modicum of interaction with wife & pets and find 5 pages of thread since Daybreak, and by the time I've digested these there's 2 more, etc. - the Achilles and the turtle phenomenon. Back in the early days of BD WW whole games were played out in the number of pages we nowadays often take for a single Day. But that's more common in larger villages - maybe I should just stick to smaller ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
There would definitely need to be a maximum length to the post, but one should not have to diligently count characters. I have sufficient faith in you guys to trust that you would play in the spirit of the game (and the new rules), and if a post or two is a bit over the limit, so what. Of course if there are obvious and repeatedly infractions, then the mods would need to take action.
I'Ve been thinking of castigating offenders with links to Ramones songs, as a reminder that everything worthwile can be said in 2 minutes.

Anyway, the ghost game idea sounds fun. Limiting it to first sentences might be a bit harsh, but I suppose we'd like to prevent someone just quoting e.g. Kath's signature to indicate she's the last living wolf, or some such. (People with Tolkien signatures watch out!)