View Single Post
Old 12-28-2009, 01:53 PM   #2273
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
I took the liberty of having the the peasants eat outside of the hall.
Peasants?

Now from where exactly did those people drop in?

I don't remember there ever been peasants in lord Eodwine's Hall and I doubt Athanar would bring ones around either. The countryside around the Hall is full of peasants so the lords don't actually need to carry "their own" around...

But... I think there is an issue here which this amazing appearance of peasants actually brings to light, and I think it has never been thought about.

So the surrounding countryside provides for the Mead Hall; the meat, the cereals, the wood etc. That's what the discussions with the local lords will be about besides swearing allegiance to the king via the Mead Hall. Lord Eodwine was not too enthusiastic about meeting the local lords but the fact that their supplies they had brought with them were running low was the reason he had to finally go on with it. And it was the promise of the lords that they would send them supplies. So clearly lord Eodwine didn't have peasants with cattle & stuff to keep the Mead Hall self-sufficent. And I think that is a good idea: a Mead Hall is not a peasant farm but king's institution dealing with law and order.

But it would actually be reasonable if the Mead Hall had like a host of chicken and maybe a cow or two (and a few pigs to feed on the leftovers and stuff), or something like that, just to get some daily supplies like eggs and milk the easy way.

Now do we need peasants to manage some chicken and a cow or two? I think we need to go only a generation back in Finland (or US?) where normal small-farmers handled a number of cattle & smaller animals as a norm. So I'd say the people in the kitchen could easily manage that - if it's a question of only providing eggs and milk.

Let's think about that.

Yeah Groin, a wolf-hunt is a good idea. I actually have an idea whom Athanar would order for the mission...

I'm going to check the post for Javan's hearing and hopefully post it soon enough.