Thread: Password
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2019, 02:34 PM   #8160
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sneaky? Moi?

LALIA CLAYHANGER: The French garlic is noted – and in the confusion she appears, somewhere where raw pottery is suspended?
SHELOB: Revolutionary, in his turmoil, loses Vik for her!
BOMBUR: Bluster loses its sedentary attitude, and urgency begins. See him.
PERRY-THE-WINKLE: A fondness for babycham, French tea, shellfish and bloomers is evident in him!
UNGOLIANT: Gloin – barmy? Or is it relative? Either way, there’ll be trouble before she appears!
FORLONG: Will he be there ages?
FREDEGAR BOLGER: Avarice of an armed force? Mix it for him. He’s a blogger – with a couple of differences.
FENGEL: Wet place twists limb back for him.
FATTY DORKINS: An evident gourmand. And an endless Surrey town becomes sibilant for the blissful fellow!

THEME: CORPULENT CHARACTERS

Quite right, both of you. Is it Fatty or Fattie? Can't remember for sure.

I'd forgotten that Butterbur was on the large size too. And about Master Lumpkin (who always makes me think of Tony Lumpkin in 'She Stoops To Conquer.')

I didn't go for answers like Bilbo, because he wasn't particularly fat for his kind.

This began as a much shorter puzzle, with LARGE for the password. But I thought of further candidates, and as CORPULENT was closer to the meaning, I made them fit that. I originally just had LALIA for the first answer, but CLAYHANGER was absolutely the only way I could get the C. I suppose even when the password applied to her, though, she was still a Clayhanger by birth.

Similarly, Fredegar Bolger was originally just Fredegar, but as Fatty Dorkins needed to be named in full and Lalia now appeared with her surname, I thought he had better do to. Hence the second sentence in that clue.

Well done, and over to Mithalwen.

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 09-23-2019 at 02:43 PM.
Pervinca Took is offline   Reply With Quote