View Single Post
Old 07-16-2003, 02:56 PM   #99
VanimaEdhel
Etheral Enchantress

VanimaEdhel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to VanimaEdhel Send a message via MSN to VanimaEdhel
Silmaril

Finally Castar saw Windheneb approach his table from his cart a little way down. Castar looked at his own table, which was growing increasingly emptier as the day went on, as Castar had hoped. When customers were not visiting the stand, Castar had taken to people-watching. Most of the people he had watched had been the ladies that had passed by Winde's cart, admiring both the young man's wares and appearance. Winde himself seemed to be admiring comely girls of every age. From some pretty sixteen-year old girls that had come to admire the dresses he made to a woman clearly over forty, who was still pretty in her middle age, Winde had given attention to nearly any girl that passed. The women didn't seem to mind either, Castar noted. All of them had smiled and most had even come over to either buy from the outgoing young man or to return the attention. As Castar marvelled at Winde's ability with women, the handsome flirt arrived at the table.

"Do you want to meet one of my sisters?" Winde asked, not bothering with a formal greeting. Without waiting for an answer, he started heading back towards his stand.

Soon a pretty woman not much older than Winde came heading over to the table. She looked like a feminine version of Windheneb, her long, dark, straight hair spilling loose over her back. Her piercing grey eyes showed the same mischief in them that Windheneb had. With a small tinge of regret, Castar remembered that Winde had said that both of his sisters were married.

With a start, Castar remembered that he was still standing there, and that he had not greeted her as a polite gentleman should.

"Greetings, m'Lady," Castar said to the beautiful sister, trying to remember all of the etiquette his parents had tried to no avail to teach him when he was younger. He awkwardly tried to bow, but a stray strand of hair that had escaped his ponytail got into his mouth, causing him to splutter and quickly rise again. He looked at the woman, a small blush on his face.

The woman, he could tell, was trying not to laugh, but was failing miserably. Castar looked to Winde for help, but Winde had backed off a bit in the hopes, it seemed, that Castar would not see that he was nearly to the point of collapsing at Castar's attempt at civility. Castar sighed and looked around helplessly.

"I-I'm sorry," the woman said, trying to control her giggles. She took a breath and quieted herself, a smile reappearing on her lips every now and again as she slipped into and out of control of her laughter. "I am Zīra. I hope my brother has not troubled you too much."

Zīra, as she introduced herself, took Castar's hand in a hard shake. Castar looked at his hand when it came away and massaged the throbbing pain that was now in it.

"N-no, not at all," Castar stammered quietly, still blushing slightly and a bit overwhelmed by the woman's handshake. Not able to think of anything more suave to say, Castar settled for the lame question, "So, you're Winde's brother?"

"Sadly, yes," Winde piped up, coming back, still wheezing a bit from his laughter. "I am sorry, friend. I just have not heard anyone call Zīra 'm'Lady' since...well, I do not think I have heard anyone say that." He continued, feigning sincerity, "And that was a beautiful, graceful bow you have there, friend. You may consider taking up dancing instead of all that womanly pottery."

"This from a man that makes clothing," Zīra said, voicing Castar's thoughts. Castar snorted accidentally at the comment, causing Winde to look at him. Castar quickly set a serious look on his face.

"I shall be heading back to our unattended stand now," Zīra said, "I wonder if anything will be left or has it all been stolen? Oh wait, I forgot, Winny made the clothing: it'll all still be there. Oh, I did not catch your name. I tend to like to know all of Winny's handsome friends."

"I am Caster," Castar said quickly, "I mean, my real name is Luthur, but everyone calls me Castar."

"Okay then, Luthur," Zīra said, smiling a bit, "I will see you around, yes?"

Castar thought he grunted a reply, but he was not sure. Zīra moved back to the clothing cart, leaving Windheneb and Castar standing at the pottery table.

"I really hate when she calls me Winny," Winde said, scowling a bit after her, "She always does it in front of my friends too."

Castar smiled after her, "You said she was married."

"Yes, with kids, friend, so do not get any ideas," Winde said, "So, how shall we spend the afternoon?"

"I think I would like to wander the market, if it is find with you," Castar said.

"That sounds beautiful," Windheneb said. Castar packed up what was left of his pottery and moved it over near Castar's cart, leaving the table to save his spot for when he returned. He took the Elvish cloth and kept it with them, in case they should meet a stray Elf on their travel through the market.

The two bought some food from the giggly girls that had been looking at Windheneb when he first met Castar. Then they proceeded to wander around the market, each stopping occasionally to buy family presents.