Thread: Boromirs Gear
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2002, 05:27 PM   #11
Lostgaeriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Lostgaeriel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

So is JRRT inconsistent because Boromir's helm is mentioned only once he has died? Perhaps he did not wear it into the Council meeting? Seems logical, polite. So Frodo didn't see it then.

Just because JRRT never mentions it until then does not mean he is inconsistent. It just never figured in the plot. He rarely gives detailed physcial descriptions of anyone or anything. (Believe me, I've looked for this kind of information when doing sketches and paintings. This is not necessarily a bad thing - it leaves it open to the artist.)

It makes sense that Boromir wore a helm all the way from Gondor because 1) Minas Tirith was already at war so he may have had to fight his way out of the Pelennor (or back in on his return) and 2) he did not know where or when he might encounter an enemy such as Orcs. A shield* and helmet are not much of a defence, but better than nothing.

Quote:
In this evil hour I have come on an errand over many dangerous leagues to Elrond; a hundred and ten days I have journeyed all alone.
Quote:
Therefore my brother, seeing how desparate was our need, was eager to heed the dream and seek for Imladris; but since the way was full of doubt and danger, I took the journey upon myself. Loth was my father to give me leave, and long have I wandered by roads forgotten, seking the house of Elrond, of which many had heard, but few knew where it lay.
*Right, now what about the shield? Where is that mentioned?

Recall:
Quote:
The Company took little gear of war, for their hope was in secrecy not in battle. Aragorn had Andúril but no other weapon, and he went forth clad only in rusty green and brown, as a Ranger of the wilderness. Boromir had a long sword, in fashion like Andúril but of less lineage, and he bore also a shield and his war-horn.
Was JRRT so intent on comparing the swords that he forgot to mention the helm? Or did the word helm just not flow together with the rest?! There is no line saying that Boromir did NOT have a helm. But JRRT specifies that Aragorn has no weapon but his sword. So even though I would think that a good Ranger should have a knife, he doesn't!

As for Gimli taking a Rohirrim cap of leather and iron just to be polite? In a time of war? Either he had none of his own, or it was better made than his own and offered better protection.

Quote:
Gimli the dwarf alone wore openly a short shirt of steel-rings, for dwarves make light of burdens; and in his belt was a broad-bladed axe. Legolas had a bow and a quiver, and at his belt a long white knife. The younger hobbits wore the swords that they had taken from the barrow; but Frodo took only Sting; and his mail-coat, as Bilbo wished, remained hidden. Gandalf bore his staff, but girt at his side was the elven-sword Glamdring, the mate of Orcrist that lay now upon the breast of Thorin under the Lonely Mountain.
They were all furnished by Elrond with thick warm clothes, and they had jackets and cloaks lined with fur.
[ May 08, 2002: Message edited by: Lostgaeriel ]