View Single Post
Old 09-03-2002, 09:49 PM   #384
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Holly scooted over on the bench to make way for Bethberry. The serving lass had previously brought out plates, cups, and cutlery for everyone, and now brought out the platters of chicken and bowls of potato salad to the great delight of both the riddlers and the hungry audience. Flagons of good ale were passed all round, along with a pitcher of hearty cider.

Holly raised her cup of foamy ale to Bird and winked. Then taking a large swallow of it, refilled the cup and raised it once again to Gandalf.

'So, Holly,' said Bethberry, chewing thoughtfully on a spoonful of the potato salad as her tongue tried to decipher the 'secret' herbs used in the dressing, 'I understand you were out this morning early to do some drawings - might I see them?'

'Of course! Come to my room a little later and I'll show them to you. The reflection of the trees in the water is lovely at that time of day as is the light that plays throught the branches and leaves them touched by a certain radiance.' She poured herself and Bethberry another cup of ale. 'Oh! And you should see the water ouzel that we discovered! I think I caught him well enough, but he moved so quickly underwater that I couldn't do a lot of detail. I had heard Gandalf knew something of birds - perhaps I might show him that drawing and he could give me some pointers.'