View Single Post
Old 03-27-2023, 09:44 AM   #606
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
I'm afraid my reading of "Dawn" rather stalled out when work picked up. Last I remember I was about to start the "Sauron" chapter - oh, that's right, but it wasn't a comments link! Any chance you could fix that so I can ramble away to my heart's content again?
Yes, you were on Sauron, and I fixed the sharing settings. Let me know if I've missed any other links. I enjoy your comments immensely. And I am so excited to know your thoughts about the next few chapters... For me, they are the justification of Part 1. Part 1 is like the Act 4 of the Script - an attempt to involve every named character conceivably alive in Beren's lifetime, in bizarre twists of the story. Part 2 is when it retrospectively makes sense.

I have been rather reticent myself with regard to my Tolkien projects. I felt like I had so much creative energy to spare after Dawn was done, but then something RL happened to wipe that all off the board, and I've really struggled to find any motivation to write music. My attempts to pick away at the Zong have been very feeble. Fortunately, just recently I feel like that front finally gave in on Hate, I have been writing something that's actually presentable. Unfortunately, this also happens the time I need to prepare for a giant exam and end-of-year project, so it's slow going - but I might have the Feanorian part finished in another couple weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
Hmm, speaking of Hearts... we switched over to British Summer Time today, which means we're a little bit more awake this evening than normal. That meant Celebestel and I finally both had the energy to pull up Heart and get her recording. So, finally, finally, and with my sincere apologies for the delay:

Heart - Amarie solo version - audio

Heart - duet (rough)

I need to rerecord at least some of my lines (I think I had a sore throat when I did them), but at least you get the feel. I know we discussed swapping the lines around to make more sense of the geography, but I don't think we ever found an arrangement that really worked. The problem is it was written as a solo! I think the "Libretto arrangement" works if we treat Finrod's words as a memory of the First Dawn, which did come out of the west. But I'm interested to hear your thoughts.
Oooooooohhhhhh oooooooohhhhhhhh ooooooohhhhh!!!!!!!! This is gorgeous!

No, seriously, this is gorgeous - especially the duet. I wavered about duet vs solo, it was hard to judge because obviously we haven't had any duets to compare with, and I was dubious about it - but this duet is absolutely gorgeous! I think it actually works better than the solo musically, Finrod kinda highlights Amarie's lines and it makes for a brighter whole. I am 100% sold on the duet concept. And you guys sing very well together. ^.^

Without looking at the text and overthinking it again, I thought the lyrics worked the way they are now. I do recall that we decided Finrod was singing about the first ever sunrise at the end of the Helcaraxe. We were talking about swapping some of the lines around to make them more appropriate - but it was never a perfect fit, as you say, and musically I think this works well. I say we keep it if you're happy with it. And I didn't notice your voice being off at all, I thought it sounded fine.

Last edited by Galadriel55; 03-27-2023 at 09:50 AM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote