View Single Post
Old 02-26-2019, 05:01 PM   #159
Rhun charioteer
Wight

Rhun charioteer has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
The most obvious possibility, given the Ring Poem, remains the forging of the rings and the War of the Elves and Sauron. So the question is, how much of that is in the appendices? It turns out, quite a bit!

The main things missing seem to be:
-The name of Ost-in-Edhil.
-The details of how exactly the Three were hidden, including Celebrimbor's love for Galadriel.
-Celebrimbor being used as a banner by Sauron.
-The Siege of Imladris, though this is pretty well implied.

Obviously there's a lot of detail around Galadriel which isn't found in the LotR license, but if you stay away from her, you can tell virtually the entire story.

The second possibility, to my mind, remains the Fall of Arnor. The presence of Calenardhon on the map points at this, though Laurelindorenan argues against it. So far as I can recall, the final fall of Arthedain and the breaking of the Line of Kings comes entirely from the Appendices, so no licensing issues there!

It's also possible that the series is about Young Aragorn, but starts with a historical episode, a prologue writ large, showing how all this came about: the fall of Eregion provoked the first involvement of Numenor in the affairs of Middle-earth, while the fall of Arthedain obviously gave us Aragorn's line. Seems like an odd thing to tease, though.

hS
I guess you could do that and tie it into the LOTR movie prologue. Maybe get Cate Blanchett to narrate again.
Rhun charioteer is offline   Reply With Quote