View Single Post
Old 03-05-2003, 08:52 PM   #48
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Ultimately, I agree that the Vanyar deserve their place as the higher of the Eldar, in terms of the world in which they all lived.

[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Quote:
But as readers, surely the Noldor are the higher in our affections. After all, we hear about the valour, tragedy, suffering and acheivements of the Noldor. We hear very little about the Vanyar. The Noldor, therefore, are surely the greater of the kindreds as far as the reader is concerned.
Agreed!

Of course it has been hard to single out all of the Noldor's faults as has been done in this thread. As was stated earlier, I am sure few if anyone reads thwe Silmarillion and Co. with the thought, "The Noldor sure are evil", it is similar to Turin, an incredibly tragic and complex situation.
Almost like an entire race of Denthor's, Boromir's, Thorin's and Saruman's.

All of that excruciating examination was needed though I think to get to this point where we can see something more than we had before of the bigger picture of the Valar, the revolt, the Vanyar and the Noldor.

I look forward to using all of this material in the up and coming 'essays' on the Vanyar and the Noldor.

[ March 05, 2003: Message edited by: lindil ]
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.