View Single Post
Old 03-05-2003, 03:08 PM   #46
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
if they would've went to Feanor and told him what they were planning and that they were going to take out Melkor, I think chances are good that he would've cooled off a bit.
Feanor was fey, even by the time he spoke out in Tirion before his exile was over he clearly was no longer a reasonable individual.

I do not think the Valar saying, 'Hey cool down we will get him as soon as possible.'would have cut any ice with Feanor. He would have demanded action NOW!
Whether it was appropriate or not.

Feanor was already deep in the throes of a self-destructive streak that had co-opted his great and powerful gifts.

as for the Noldor 'having to go'. I think the abvoe posts show there were viable options to the evil way they left, right up to the moment of the 90/10 split.

It was from that point, or from the crossing into M-E that the die was cast and the whole War of the Jewels was fated.

Prior to that they could have returned and been part of a 'coalition of the willing'.

Feanor would have no part I think of anything he could not control. Thus the abandonment of the very people he sought to claim kingship over. Thus the killing of his own son whom he knew wished to return [ though the death was accidental, his intention of brooking no opposition was clear. He had become a tyrant.

Quote:
Why should the Noldor and their children have to risk death and suffering when their friends have boats that could ferry them to ME in no time at all?
Why should their friends risk a foolish voyage across the seas [which they had never done before btw] when Manwe himself said 'Go not forth the hour is Evil.'

Instead Olwe wisely tried to bring Feanor and the Noldor with him then, to their senses.

So I respectfully disagree with all points.

The points have been somewhat subtle, and I certainly know more now about the Vanyar and details of the flight of the Noldor than when this topic began, but ultimately I think the above series of quotes justifies both the Vanyar and Valar and also exposes the depth of the delusion of the Noldor and the ultimate folly of making such momentous decisions when surrounded by a cloud of Darkness. The time was ripe for careful consideration, the Noldor completely missed it.

To bring the discussion full circle, the Noldor's place, after the destruction of the Trees was with the Valar, holding vigil and waiting for guidance from those so entrusted by Iluvatar as to how best to help redress the evil of Morgoth.

The Vanyar knew and did this.

This is perhaps our clearest example of why the Vanyar are 'higher' than the Noldor.

Patience, prayer, obedience and humility, and a willingness to take up arms when the time is right.

[ March 05, 2003: Message edited by: lindil ]
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.