View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 08:58 PM   #4
urbanhiker
Pile O'Bones

urbanhiker has just left Hobbiton.
Speculation will provide us with all kinds of possible reasons why the actions of the Istari are unmentioned for the first 1,000 years after their arrival. Perhaps, as Inziladun has suggested, they were not contractually obligated to fight lieutenants and minions like the Witch-King but rather the Dark Lord himself, and he was as yet incognito in the world. Or maybe they were just biding their time, acclimating to Middle-Earth and meeting elves and men and adjusting to physical form. I guess I could understand that it might take hundreds of years to hike the land, meet the folk dwelling therein, form relationships with all beings of good nature, and in general gather the intimate knowledge of the world one would need to fulfill an Istari's mission.

Still, I find it remarkable that Tolkien apparently chose not to textually elaborate on their early deeds and doings, particularly those of Gandalf and Saruman, when he elaborates on almost everyone and everything else! What kinds of fascinating little journeys and struggles and experiences did they have? I've never read anything but the trilogy, the Hobbit and the Silmarillion so maybe a loremaster on this site will provide us with illumination.

Thank you for your responses! It's good to hear that I'm not the only one left wondering.

Last edited by urbanhiker; 12-01-2012 at 09:09 PM.
urbanhiker is offline   Reply With Quote