View Single Post
Old 06-09-2006, 09:01 PM   #194
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by the phantom
Hyarmenwë son of Hyarmendil- Mardil II chose Hyarmenwe as one of his ambassadors primarily because of Hyarmenwe's love for Gondor. Mardil, above all else, does not want anything to happen at the negotiations that would harm Gondor in any way, and Mardil trusts Hyarmenwe to enforce this. Mardil also thinks Hyarmenwe's noble look and military bearing will command respect at the negotiating table.
And I so did like Hyarmenwë's disposable diplomats theory...

Good to know, one way or another.

Boro: Nice post. Do I detect a parody of Monty Python?

Fea: I had nice words for Phantom and Boromir, but you meet with my displeasure.

No, not for leaving Hyarmenwë et al abandoned in Mordor- but for Hyarmenwë saying "Good Eru!"

This is an anakronistic sort of saying. And pedantic of me as it is to harp on about canonicity in a RPG that spoofs everything, I really must, since the whole point here is the contrast between canonical Gondorian and non-canonical Mordorian.

A Gondorian would never say "Eru", most likely. As with the Elves, the use of Ilúvatar is a good deal more common in any passage linking the One and the Númenoreans. And although the Númenoreans retain KNOWLEDGE of the One, He is mentioned little in everyday speech- a trend that becomes more common rather than less as the Ages pass.

Furthermore, the whole replacement of Our-World curses with pseudo-Middle-Earthian equivalents is rather... non-Canonical, in some respects. Middle-Earthian cursing exists (see The Hobbit for further details), but it does not so closely resemble ours in sound and meaning.

A Gondorian would be more likely to refer to the Valar, as Mablung does when calling for aid against the Mûmakil. Perhaps for Hyarmenwë to express his complete dumbfoundedment in such a way would be more appropriate?