View Single Post
Old 05-01-2006, 04:44 PM   #27
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Point one: Pio, please add the phantom to the list of those who can post. He will be resuming the role of Mardil II of Gondor.

Kath will be a Mordorian diplomat.

EDIT: DONE & DONE ~*~ Pio

-----

Point two, here is a very excellent write up of the political tension from the Gondor point of view as provided by the phantom.

----------------------------------------------

All right, about the set up. Since I am one of the rulers involved, I think I ought to help you set up the diplomatic situation. The diplomatic stances need to make sense and be opposing without either side looking obviously stupid or wrong.

So, here are my thoughts on the matter. I'm thinking all of this will work well. If something doesn't sit well, just let me know.

1) The old king of Gondor (who still sits on the throne in Minas Tirith) is refusing to give up his seat and throws orders around as if he is the King, but he no longer has the power to get things done. The majority of Gondor supports Mardil II and refers to him as "King", especially since his marriage to Morwen, the King's daughter.

2) Mardil is extremely aware of the fact that there are many many Gondorians in Mordor that want to go back home. Now, some of them are criminals and deserve to be there (it's like a giant jail), but Mardil also knows that many of them are completely decent people who do not deserve to be seperated from their families and friends. Unfortunately, there is no way of telling who is who because the former King kept poor records, and some of his records are not to be trusted. Because of this, Mardil wants to give every Mordorian who wishes to go home one chance to escape, and trust to Eru that those who deserve it will succeed. Roggie is opposed to this of course (afraid of losing his subjects). Mardil, though, refuses to compromise on this issue. Especially after his personal experience in Mordor, he finds the idea of innocents being seperated from their families to be a terrible crime that needs to be rectified.

3) Mardil wants the Blue Wizards and their influence GONE! He views them as evil, would-be Saurons. Roggie knows that without their power he would lose many of his citizens, so he can't support getting rid of them. But, Roggie doesn't like them and Mardil knows it, and Mardil hopes to use this factor to finally convince Roggie to help him kill the wizards. Mardil believes that it could be Roggie's destiny to battle the two evil wizards and slay them, since they are all Ainu of the same order. Mardil thinks that Roggie facing down the two obviously evil Maia might result in the former Balrog's ultimate redemption and forgiveness from the Valar for Roggie. Mardil has never discussed this with Roggie, or really anyone except his wife and Anakron. Mardil is biding his time, waiting to play this powerful trump card, which he hopes will completely bring Roggie to his side against the two wizards.

4) Mardil does understand Roggie's concern with losing his subjects, but adamantly believes that is a secondary concern, and that the first order of business is to rid the world of the Blue Istari and free the innocents of Mordor. Mardil thinks that after those things are done, then he and Roggie can work something out that they are both comfortable with. Roggie, because of his anti-Mardil bias (because of losing his leg, and because of Mardil's high bearing), doesn't trust Mardil to fairly treat with him after he has defeated the wizards (despite the fact that Mardil truly would treat with him fairly). Because of Roggie's belief, he insists on reaching some sort of favorable agreement regarding his kingdom losing its people (and therefore him his power) before agreeing to help Mardil with his goals.

I think that those points provide a good basis for the diplomatic tensions between the two kingdoms. Make sure that Mardil's ambassadors are aware of and stay true to Mardil's stances.

-----------------------------------

All players please take this information into account while negotiating or otherwise acting.

Last edited by piosenniel; 05-02-2006 at 01:43 PM.