View Single Post
Old 04-25-2016, 02:41 AM   #22
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Ivriniel has just left Hobbiton.
@All

Osanwe

We know from Tolkien's comments (thank you Mithadan for the materials) that Osanwe could be shut off, or denied, by will, and that an Elf could deny a Vala. (at least that's how I read it, in that fear elicits closure to another).

Anyhooz - the relevance.

I've been wondering if the vulnerability was a Ringlore 'Osanwe' perversion that Sauron imbued into the process of Rings, and that the major vulnerability was that Sauron could

DISCERN

An Elf bearing a Ring - ergo - strategic - vulnerability. He could deploy war forces where he knew the Ring keeper hadn't placed defences. Stuff like that. Tolkien cites similar concepts about the Stones and 'who could spy on whom' with the Master Stone being able to discern lesser Stones, without the viewer necessarily knowing.

Recall, he was in WWI and II where he grew up understanding that war outcomes were based on capacity to intercept coded messages during that time of proliferation of encryptions.

Thus - the "will" aspect of his "imbuing" needed to -- exceed that of the 'Osanwe' sort of 'thing' he devised in The Ring spell

Anyone care to comment?