View Single Post
Old 08-04-2018, 08:17 AM   #94
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
It continues to amaze me how you can latch on to a different snippet and tiny detail every time you reread Tolkien. This time, probably with The Hobbit more fresh in my memory it's Bilbo's garments when he leaves Bag End for the last time:

Quote:
"He took off his party clothes, folded up and wrapped in tissue-paper his embroidered silk waistcoat, and put it away. Then he put on quickly some old untidy garments, and fastened around his waist a worn leather belt. On it he hung a short sword in a battered black-leather scabbard. From a locked drawer, smelling of moth-balls, he took out an old cloak and hood. They had been locked up as if they were very precious, but they were so patched and weatherstained that their original colour could hardly be guessed: it might have been dark green. They were rather too large for him."~A Long-Expected Party
The smallest detail about the cloak made me smile. It's not just the fact this was the cloak Dwalin gave him, but how Tolkien reveals this information of being the same cloak which makes it that much better. Instead of being direct just writing "Bilbo grabbed a dark-green cloak Dwalin gave Bilbo many years ago." Tolkien describes it as almost like an "Easter egg" for readers of The Hobbit to discover. The cloak is like an Easter Egg: "locked up as if they were very precious"..."so patched and weatherstained that their original colour could ahrdly be guessed: it might have been dark green. They were rather too large for him."

Quote:
"...and Bilbo was wearing a dark-green hood (a little weather-stained) and a dark-green cloak borrowed from Dwalin. They were too large for him, and he looked rather comic.~Roast Mutton
Also, as much as I get Frodo's frustration with how the hobbits (in particular Lobelia) reacted in a free-for-all frenzy the day after Bilbo's disappearance. I'm still rather fond of them (yes even Lobelia). As dreadful as the Sackville-Bagginses are in this chapter, it's almost like a soft, ultimately harmless form of troublemakers. They're not pleasant hobbits, but they're not evil and like Frodo you still don't want any evil penetrating the Shire.