View Single Post
Old 11-29-2008, 11:53 PM   #25
Strongbow
Wight

Strongbow has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Strongbow Send a message via MSN to Strongbow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post
I suppose I am asking because I am very intrigued by the differences between Gandalf the Grey and Gandalf the White. We know, we are told, that Gandalf has been given carte blanche to deploy all his powers after he returns from his fight with the balrog. But what does this mean? Can he use his words and eloquence the way Saruman does? So how do those who willingly submit know that he is right? How is his use of his powers different from the way that, say, Saruman deployed his abilities? Is it simply that by definition Gandalf is one of the good guys and so he can establish his dominion--I won't say domination--without question?
Well, to answer your second question: yes, yes he can, provided that the White Wizard does not overstep the bounds set by the Valar over all the Istari: not to use Power against the Dark Lord in the East, and not to dominate Elves nor Men.

Through the use of this Power, the Voice, Saruman swayed men to his dominion, such as the men of Dunland who rose up against the Rohirrim at the Battle of the Hornburg. This is because Saruman wanted Domination, and it is for this reason that he was deposed by Gandalf, being stripped of staff and color. However, Gandalf, through the use of the White Voice, if you will, is not seeking dominion, or Domination, of the minds of Men or Halflings: he wishes for Minas Tirith to be held against the forces of the Enemy. This is why Gandalf deserves this carte blanche: he is not taken by the desires which have long gnawed at the heart of Saruman, and this is why he was even allowed to come back from the battle with the Balrog.

This all being said, there is no place where any of those who listen to the counsels of Gandalf remark that they feel they are being swayed by leechcraft, except perhaps Theoden, when he is healed by Gandalf. This could be because they are not aware of his spellwork, as they were when they had the parley with Saruman at Isengard. However, I myself doubt this. It is not in Gandalf's character (so far as we the reader know) to manipulate maliciously.

((This is fun! I might come back and read with youse more often. ))