View Single Post
Old 10-23-2006, 07:27 PM   #587
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
In the room upstairs

Garstan looked surprised. Well he might, thought Eodwine.

"Garstan," said Falco, "these are Ritun and Lefun, twins that your son and I found in the ruins off east of here. They have become our friends." Falco turned to the twins. "Ritun, Lefun, this is Garstan, the stoneshaper of this hall, and father of Garmund. He is a good man (as men go) and can keep our secret."

"Thanks, Falco, for making introductions," said Eodwine. "I have told them that they may stay here and be safe. For now only we know they are here, and I would have it stay that way until we have made plans."

"Pardon, lord," Falco coughed, "but Thornden and Trystan also know they are here, but not that they be two."

"I see."

"Lefun, Ritun, show the Eorl and the stoneshaper how you make like you are but one."

The twins nodded and performed the transformation before them, complete with rough tunic covering Ritun. It was a most unique transformation to say the least, to Eodwine's mind. He was racking his brain to figure out how to introduce this pair to the rest of the household in a way that would not be overly upsetting to either, and was coming to no answer.

"That is enough, Lefun and Ritun," he said. "Please be at your ease." As they unraveled from their contrived knot, Eodwine turned to Garstan. "Have you any suggestions how we might best make these two known to the others and the others to this pair without overmuch trouble?

~ * ~

Garreth and Harreld hold forth in the hall

"Women, now," said Garreth loudly as he set down his ale cup with a loud report on the board, "there's a way about them that it takes a wise man to figger out!" He looked around the table conspiratorially, including the women of which he spoke, "an' I know the secret!"

"Garreth," Harreld chided, "if you know a secret about women I for one don't know how you learnt it, not having been near any in the last five years!"

"Little you know!" Garreth retorted amid the laughter of the others. "You're not always a-by me! Most times when you've drunk yourself under the table and art snoring to scare away the rats, I leave you and use my born charms to good ef- ef- ef- er, to the good."

"You're dreaming while you snore under the table yourself!" Harreld said.

"Don't listen to him, friends! Who of you wants to know the secret?"