View Single Post
Old 09-04-2005, 12:01 PM   #17
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
'Ever your desire is to appear lordly and generous as a king of old, gracious, gentle. That may well befit one of high race, if he sits in power and peace. But in desperate hours gentleness may be repaid with death.’

‘So be it,’ said Faramir.

'So be it!’ cried Denethor. ‘But not with your death only, Lord Faramir: with the death also of your father and all of your people, whom it is your part to protect now that Boromir is gone.’

From 'The Siege of Gondor’, The Return of the King
This passage from a chapter we earlier read, haunts me when reading the ‘The Pyre of Denethor’. And brings two or maybe three impressions. Besides the conversion dissolving into being a rather a textbook example fathering techniques to avoid a short sentence later, this I think shows not only Denethor judgment of his son, but his own worry. He is worried that Faramir’s gentleness will be repaid in death, he expects it. I think that this is one reason why he was drawn to Boromir, for he was more bold than gentle, and also why Denthor was so willing to believe Faramir was not going to recover. What he feared was coming true despite his best effort. And ironically Denethor was bringing about this end himself with a mad sort of tenderness.

It was also interesting to note that he mentions that his son’s behavior should cause not only the death of his people but of his father also. Is this the logic of Denethor as he orders the pyre constructed? For gentle Faramir he believes is dying, and his people also are dying, must Denethor therefore die too?

The emphasis in this chapter for me is how the will of Sauron is bring carried out in the stronghold though Denethor. I doubt that a more effective agent could have been used, even spies or moles in the city would not have had this deeply felt effect! I know that I am no doubt in the minority, but I have always liked Denethor, though I despised the way he treated his sons. It is tragic how such a bright man, unwittingly, was so used without realizing it. Even in the end he seems to think his death is in defiance, when it is in reality a victory for the Dark Lord. How much more dispiriting to the people to have a leader kill himself, then to die fighting like Theoden. And what a contrast between what is happening in the lower city where the enemy is recognisible, to what is happening at the top levels where the enemy's intent is disguised and it's protective armor is the oath of service the the city and its Lord.

As for Gandalf’s decision to help Faramir, I believe there is a clue back in the chapter ‘Minas Tirith’

Quote:
Gandalf is speaking:
‘But all worthy things that are in peril as the world now stands, those are my care. And for my part, I shall not wholly fail of my task, though Gondor should perish, if anything passes through this night that can still grow fair or bear fruit and flower again in days to come.
I submit that Gandalf viewed Faramir a such a one.
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote