View Single Post
Old 08-14-2004, 08:29 PM   #32
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Certainly. There were always those who walked out of Sophecles Oedipus Rex shaking their heads, thinking "Oedipus was a proven warrior. He would never have been so emotional...." etc., etc. There is room to disagree with interpretation of the myth. But regardless of your feelings about Oedipus, (or dragons), the artistic merit of the work should stand on its own, according to Tolkien.

The "it is not canon" argument is spurious and contrary to Tolkien's views.
What an interesting addition your views would be to the "Canonicity" thread in the Books forum, Maril! I seem to fall into the category of defining the Tolkien-written material as the only "canon" material, but, with regards to fanfiction, I see no need to be strictly "canonical," as it is an interpretation and not part of the original work. But then we fall into the trap of wondering whether Christopher Tolkien's compilations and interpretations are "canon." It is quite interesting that Tolkien's Middle Earth has come together in the way it has, in a historical fashion, much in the same vein as his own style of writing--the primary world echoing the sub-created one. My favorite fanfictions are written in this style as well, and, while I have stayed away from LOTR slash stories (for the reason that it doesn't fit my interpretation of the characters), I certainly have nothing against slash as a form of fanfiction. Indeed, the question of alteration of canonicity might make such a thing plausible (in what I would call a "non-canonical way") by presenting the point of view of a different character's take on the War of the Ring. But, since the Tolkien-penned version is the story as written by Frodo Baggins in the Red Book of Westmarch, I have a hard time believing in Frodo/Sam slash. (Unless Frodo marked out some passages in the Red Book before Tolkien 'found' it!)

I am intrigued by your interpretation of mythology as fanfiction, however, and such a treatment for LOTR would transport it out of the realm of popular fantasy fiction and into the realm of a mythology itself, a reality beyond the point of its creation, a real trip into Faerie! Now that I've rambled off the beam a little, I'll close and wish you all happy reading, whatever you choose for reading material!

Cheers!
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote