View Single Post
Old 09-13-2019, 04:34 PM   #7042
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
So what can you wear that is not plant-based in an age without polyesther? Woolen clothes. Metal armour. Weapons that aren't swords. Jewelry/decoration without an actual jewel in it. Belts and brooches. Horns. Leather shoes. Crowns. Detachable Balrog wings.

Joking about the wings, but that aside - we haven't narrowed it down one bit!

I agree with Hui that other weapons are unlikely as spears, arrows, bows, clubs all usually contain an element of wood, and shields as well. Woolen clothes and leather shoes - it would have to be a specific enough item, not just that hobbit's other uncle's cousin-in-law's friend's woolen cloak. Is there any specific note of clothes and shoes that you recall with reference to their material? Metal armour and chainmail are more than possible. So are decorations, brooches, belts, crowns, and horns.

Going through specific items knowing that it's not a "hobbit thing": none of the hobbits' gear, including the knives, mithril coat, Merry and Pippin's Lorien belts, Merry's horn, Frodo's pearl, One Ring and its chain, Sherrif feathers. I am not sure if I can exclude Lorien brooches altogether, but as Pippin's was the only notable one and we're talking singular object they can be put aside.

Enough about what it's not; what could it be still? Boromir's remarkable gear - his horn and Lorien belt. Aragorn's crown, and various lesser known crown-like objects. Any unnamed Ring - in particular Thrain's Ring, Saruman's makeshift ring. Ring of Barahir is out because First Age too. The Hobbit stuff: the necklace Bilbo gives to Thranduil. Stuff from earlier times. Lots of things I can't remember.

Oh, and there is the matter of "not likely" made by Feanor, ie maker unknown. Therefore horn is out, unnamed Rings are out, Lorien wearables are probably out as they were made tailored to the Fellowship. Orcish / outright evil stuff is also out.

So... three questions left...

Would Eowyn wear this thing on her head?