View Single Post
Old 12-29-2009, 06:17 PM   #689
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Lithor's hearing

Lithor, Wulfric and Wilheard came forwards under the guidance of Hilderinc. The three stood side by side facing Lord Athanar. He glanced at his sons but then turned his eyes towards Lithor. The general stir ceased.

“Lithor, senior guard to lord Eodwine and the Scarburg Mead Hall. That is you?”

Lithor nodded.

“Well Lithor…” lord Athanar looked saddened but firm. He laid his eyes downwards for a moment before looking back at Lithor again.

“Were you a reckless child or a hot-headed youngster I would have the reasons and the heart to look at a lots of things through my fingers and only blame the tensions of the first night, free running emotions, maybe too much ale… whatever it would then be. But you are a veteran of the Pelennor Fields. You must have served as a soldier over twenty years at least.” He made a small pause.

“You should know better how a soldier acts Lithor, especially as a senior soldier who will be looked upon by the younger ones. So as you set the younger ones an example, I will have to make sure that example is disciplined. I do honour all my brothers in arms from the fields of glory but you leave me little choice here Lithor.”

The two looked at each other in the eye. Some people thought they caught a glimpse of a fleeting moment of mutual honour between the two as the battle of the Pelennor Fields was mentioned. They were one of the rare few present who had fought there on that day of sacrifice, blood and honour. That was a memory that would never fade and which united those who shared it.

Lord Athanar broke the silence. “Anyway Lithor, there is a graver issue to be settled than your behaviour here in public last night. There was an incident outside as well, and my sons…” Here he turned his head and nodded as to point them out to everyone who was not yet familiar with them and their relationship.

“Wulfric and Wilheard have told me you have also been planning a treason behind my back, not only mocking my authority into my face in here. And you know full well that is plotting against the king himself. And if that is true, it will be a much graver matter indeed.” Lord Athanar let his words hammer in before he let Lithor off the hook of silence.

“So what have you to say for yourself?”

“It is as your lordship says. My words were ill chosen, I have acted as I should not have. Therefore, for last night’s actions, as the soldier I am, I will accept the punishment of your disappointment.”

He paused for a moment, unsure of how to continue. Saying what he felt will prove dangerous amidst his accusers. His complexion was unchanging, but his thoughts were ever working out a plan of discourse. Lithor eyed Wulfric and Wilheard and then Athanar.

“However, my lord if I am cause for disappointment and trial because of ill words, instead of actions, then you will also have cause for disappointment in your sons for bringing this false accusation of treason forward.” Lithor lifted his hand towards the boys and glared at them.

“My lord, you know me as one you suspect of treachery because of last night, but is last night the only night that counts in my life?” Lithor spoke loud and fast when he saw a hint of annoyance in the listeners’ eyes. “Both your sons’ honor and quality are known to you, my lord. You have known them for all their lives so you can best judge how their actions truly were, but my lord you know me not. I have served faithfully for over thirty years and have fought in the War of the Ring and have helped quell the Dunlendings. I have been taught lessons that only my age of experience can bring. I am sorry that reverence for your lordships hall was not one of them. My accusers, however, are barely men. They are still intemperate in their youth and assume a false truth from a conversation they heard in pieces. Thornded, the good commander he is, came to comfort me after I left the hall and I never spoke of treason to him.”

Thornden took a small step forward, preparing to speak, but Lord Athanar waved him back. "We will hear your view of this, seneschal Thornden... but let us hear Wulfric and Wilheard first."

He glanced at his sons and some people caught signs of sorrow in his eyes, but that was only passing... He turned to Lithor once more before giving them a possibility to speak.

"I'm not questioning your past deeds Lithor... I'm questioning your behaviour yesterday. And I know my sons in good and bad..." He glanced at his sons again. "But even immature ears can hear correctly whilst veteran's tongue might fail. So let us hear what you have to say, Wulfric and Wilheard? Was there a talk of treason yesterday out there or not?"

As the question echoed in the air, Wulfric suddenly realised the weakness of their position. If Lithor and Thornden denied everything, would their father take his sons's word for it? Wulfric was not so stupid as to think his father would grossly favour his own kin to those he sought to get to his side. He gritted his teeth.

"Yes." He said in a clear voice. That sounded impressive, but in truth there was doubt nagging inside. He and Wilheard had quizzed one of the soldiers, Áforglaed, for what had happened in the hall while they had been away, but he would've felt more comfortable if he had been there himself.

"This soldier, Lithor, clearly tried to talk Commander Thornden into some kind of rebellion. He said..."

Wilheard, who had a better memory, cut in: "He said that if Lord Eodwine does not return Thornden 'must lead Scarburg to renew the seat to its rightful heir: Saeryn, and later her son.' He spoke many words implying that Thornden should keep friendly with you, my lord, so that the people who lived here under Lord Eodwine could plot behind your back and yet keep a friendly face."

Wulfric gritted his teeth again. Wilheard spoke right, but perhaps too straightforwardly - this would lead to another confrontation, and those should be resolved in privacy, not under the lord's watchful eye. "These words, combined from his earlier disrespect and lack of loyalty to you, my lord, led us to believe there indeed is some treasonous plot forming in this man's head."

Lord Athanar looked stupefied. He was stupefied.

One could have almost touched the silence in the hall as it wrapped everyone around it. It felt like people were not braving to even breathe.

Lord Athanar rose up and eyed his sons with a sharp gaze.

“Is that what you say Wulfric… Wilheard?”

The boys glanced at each other and then turned to face their father. “Yes”, they both said in unison. If possible, the Hall was even quieter it had been before.

Lord Athanar turned towards Thornden and Lithor. He felt like he was beaten from inside; for whichever party was right here, it would be at least a minor catastrophy for him. He didn’t let it show but retained his composure.

“What do you say Thornden?” He paused for a second, “What do you say Lithor?”

”Do not speak for me, master Thornden!” Lithor cried stepping forward when he saw Thornden about to explain. It would look bad for Thornden to speak first. “My lord,” he said turning to Athanar. “What treason is there in honest words that speak the truth? I encouraged Thornden to follow your lordship for the sake of unity. I encouraged him not to make my mistake. I encouraged him to fight for lady Saeryn and her son, the rightful heir of Scarburg.” Lithor declared this loudly so that the entire hall could hear him.

“My lord, you command Scarburg until lord Eodwine returns and you must help us rid the land of Tancred and his friends. The king’s decree stated no more than that. I would be a traitor indeed if I did not defend Eodwine and his heirs, to whom I swore allegiance.”

The words hung heavy over the hall. Lithor did not know if he had condemned himself or not.

Lord Athanar had been listening to Lithor in a calm and collected fashion despite the anguish the situation aroused in him, even nodding a few times when he started, but little by little he started looking more vexed. If Lithor had not paused there it was clear to all the onlookers that lord Athanar would have done that himself. Bad situation or not, but that was plain outrageous!

“Stop it right there!”

Lord Athanar was more than annoyed; he was torn between willing to end this tom foolery once and for all, but afraid of being too rude to the original dwellers of the Hall and thus making it even harder to reconcile matters.

He had to talk even if his thoughts were unfinished.

“Have you read the king’s decree Lithor? I showed it to you all yesterday evening but you didn’t care to read it now did you?” He drew breath to cool himself off. He knew he should not get really angry even if every word he spoke made him more so.

Suddenly Athanar raised his head and looked around. “Excuse me…” He scanned the Hall looking at the people gathered there. His mind was feverishly going through possibilities of how to address the issue Lithor had brought forwards once again. Were these people still believing in their former lord this heavily, that he could rise from the dead? What kind of god was he to them? He would have to cut that thinking off if that was the cause of all this… but how to do it without actually calling lord Eodwine a dead man?

“Now listen Lithor, and listen good.” He gazed around to bring home the point that he meant everyone should listen and not only Lithor.

“A Mead Hall is the king’s domain. The king exerts his rule via Mead Halls into the lands not straight under his nose. And to run these Halls he appoints eorls to represent him in these vicinities and we are personally liable to him to run them.”

He had talked to the overall public thus far, but now he turned to face Lithor again. “As an eorling serving in a Mead Hall of your king your allegiance is to the king, to Rohan, Lithor. Not to any individual eorl.” He paused just for a moment before continuing.

“And had you read the king’s decree you’d know better. The king’s decree didn’t say I will be here to perform a duty until lord Eodwine – bless him – is back, but that I’m the eorl of the Scarburg Mead Hall… Valar be praised if lord Eodwine comes back among the living, and it will be the task of the king to decide then what will follow… not you… or me, Lithor. And as the king who loved him decided this way, it’s not for you Lithor, or me, to question that decision. And if you continue questioning the king’s decree I will see it you will face the king himself under a charge of questioning his decrees… and the question of you being a traitor will look quite a different one from the perspective of king Eomer.”

“Enough of that...” he said after a few heavy breaths. “What do you have to say against the accusations raised by Wulfric and Wilheard, that they overheard you planning a treason?”

What a sickening sight. Indeed, it would be in Athanar’s favor if Lithor would not question anything, only obey. Lithor felt another great throb of pain in his side. It all became clear to Lithor in the twinkling of an eye. Athanar does not wish for Eodwine to return! Athanar intends to keep the earldom for himself and have Saeryn settle for second best. Why interrupt Lithor if he was mad? Athanar would have enough sense to let Lithor finish before he addressed the matter. There was truth in Lithor’s words. A lord would have addressed it calmly. To Lithor it felt as if all his traveling with his lord had been for naught: all the battles, the Great War, the sickness, the encouragement, and the excitement, the friendship— all for nothing.

“Wulfric, Wilheard, why do you lie?" He said, turning the trial back to its purpose. "You speak of hearing my words in the hall and then overhearing my conversation with Thornden. You were not there to hear my words to Athanar and of my conversation with Thornden you make it sound like a plot. You have left out his magnanimity to me and of our private talk about how to avoid future conflicts. Well chosen, twisted, words. Men can easily twist meanings when telling half the truth. There…was…no crime…last night.”

Lithor glanced at Thornden. The attention must not turn to him. Whatever the costs, Thornden must stay out of the debate while Wulfric and Wilheard were talking about treason. Keep your mouth shut. Don't say a word! Their attacks are on me, keep it that way.

Thornden stepped forward. No longer would his silence benefit Lithor or enlighten lord Athanar. He did not feel that he need hide anything, or be vague in any form whatsoever. He looked towards Lithor and met his eye briefly. Lithor shook his head, almost imperceptibly, but Thornden waved him quiet. “My lord, as Lithor said, they overheard us in the midst of a private conversation, and it would have been simple to misunderstand. I was merely discussing with Lithor what had occurred in this hall last night and I told him I would stand in his defense if the need arose. He asked me that I would not, for he did not wish you to think less of me. He honors the position you have given me, and does not want me to risk losing it for his sake. That is all.

“What he said concerning Saeryn’s child and lord Eodwine was exactly what any of us would wish to hear from a loyal man. Lithor is not treasonous, nor a troublemaker, nor a disobedient member of this household. He is merely a loyal man who wishes everything to happen in an orderly and appropriate manner, which I believe you to be, also. It just so happens that you two do not see eye to eye on just what is the orderly and appropriate thing to do. But I trust that nothing shall occur hastily, you will consider what is best for everyone involved, including Lithor, and in the end, everyone will feel that you have acted justly.”

Lord Athanar thought for a moment. What a waste of talent it was Thornden was here in the middle of nowhere… he could star in the courts of Edoras, as soon as he got his logic fixed. But that lighter thought aside, lord Athanar was on the verge of cancelling all he had said that morning. Now what is this? Was there no limit to the arrogance and self-righteousness of these people? Where did these people think they lived in; a kind of community of the poor where all negotiated the decisions together? Did they really think that if he showed consideration he could be milked into anything they wished? How had lord Eodwine managed to spoil them? Some discipline would be needed indeed!

But his wife’s desperate look brought him back to his senses. She knew him well enough to lay her hand on his arm. And he knew she was right. Glancing at her he nodded in assurance before rising up from his chair.

“So on what happened outside we have here words against words. And I must say I’m actually bent in believing in what my seneschal Thornden here reports on what happened…” He waited for the mild unrest that ensued to settle.

“One major factor here is that my sons reported yesterday that Thornden didn’t answer the call for treason they said Lithor here had suggested to him, and I have no reason to believe they would have a special liking to twist what they heard to save master Thornden from harm. So therefore I have no reason to believe Thornden was plotting something behind my back.” He gazed at the mostly satisfied crowds before turning to his sons.

“Now you two… am I wrong in thinking you acted hastily yesterday and tried to pull a brave face with what you got today?”

Wulfric and Wilheard looked uncomfortable but they didn’t confess on anything.

“Be as it may, I also think you acted in good faith, because of the beating of your sister and all the inhospitality we had been welcomed with thus far yesterday. In any other circumstances I would blame you mightily for attacking a veteran soldier, but now I must confess I’m not too sure about the blame as I sensed the general ill-will yesterday myself as well. So I would compare your case with the one with Javan… possibly feeling a righteous anger but overacting on it. And your punishment will be similar to Javan’s. I’ll come to that in a moment.”

He looked at his sons firmly and then glanced at his wife. She smiled to him encouraging him to go on with that tone.

“But then Lithor. What should I do with you? You clearly have a problem with authorities and that needs to be fixed. Haven’t your years with the military taught you anything? You’re not entitled to question the king’s rulings Lithor! Or to say they are one thing when you don't clearly know what they are! And you’re not entitled to question your eorl’s rulings!! You’re not entitled to question even your closest officer’s rulings!!!” Lord Athanar draw breath to calm down and then continued in a more composed manner.

“You are entitled to your view of things as everyone is. And you have the right to call your closest officer in private if you think something is wrong and needs fixing. Then it is the task of that officer to report your worries forwards if he thinks it a reasonable thing to do. But you never lecture to your immediate officer in public or try to tell him how he should do his job… not to talk of the higher officers, or your eorl… not to talk of the king himself!” Lord Athanar needed to breathe before he was able to settle down again.

“Let me tell you something Lithor… no, let me tell you all something.” With that Athanar raised his gaze to sweep over the hall.

“I have made a suggestion just here at the breakfast-table before these hearings begun – and we had a discussion over it last night my wife and I – and we have asked from lady Saeryn here,” at this point he glanced to lady Saeryn who still didn’t look like she was feeling too well. “that we could adopt her as our daughter to inherit this Mead Hall, or to have her child to inherit it.”

He was about to continue straight ahead but a rushed buzz emerged from all around the hall and he had to wait for a moment. But it didn’t seem the restlessness was going by.

“It’s not finished yet!” The hassle settled slowly and lord Athanar could continue.

“It is of course if she will accept the offer, and I’m not willing to press her on that looking at her condition. I’d be delighted to hear her answer right away, but it’s up to her.” He glanced at Saeryn and the wide open mouths in the audience. But then he remembered where he was going to and turned back to Lithor.

“So how should I read you Lithor? Either you think you understand things better than your eorl and are self-important enough not to only suggest it to your officer which is kind of within the limits, but you also feel the need of making it public in front of everyone, or then you use the hard issues as vehicles for a mutiny trying to capitalise on any possible resentments there could be using downright lies about the king's decree as your base.” There was suddenly a gloomy silence in the hall. “It was that close…” Athanar raised his left hand and put his thumb and index finger just an inch apart from each other: “… I didn’t decide to cancel my offer to lady Saeryn just because of your arrogance... or rebellion…”

Lithor made a gesture to speak but lord Athanar silenced him: “Hush, Lithor. You will now start learning your place. I will hear none of it.” He looked around, checking especially Thornden and Coenred.

“So Lithor… either you were both wrong and a fool or then you have bad intentions. I hope to believe the former and I can’t prove the latter… It’ll be no surprise I’m very disappointed with you even with the better case. So the verdict then…”

He took his time and people waited in silence. One could feel the tension in the air.

“On the issue of treason outside the hall yesterday I will order that you Lithor and my sons, Wulfric and Wilheard, will form a party of three to a few suitable missions we’ll face. I’m thinking of cutting any messengers from the local lord’s houses as we others visit them, or something like that. That should teach you three coming along. There I’m calling for obedience and top-execution from Wulfric and Wilheard and I’m waiting for results from you Lithor – and no brawls, that will be on your shoulders. But on the matter of un-soldiery, out-of-place behaviour…”

Athanar took a small pause before continuing as if to formulate what he was saying clear enough.

“I don’t believe in discarding one of his rank as good soldiers are always needed in places they do their best, and I just can’t think of an idea of a physical punishment with a veteran of the Pelennor… There are limits to disgrace, like flogging children.” Suddenly he stopped like if he remembered something.

“That doesn’t mean I’d not be ready to flog anyone of you soldiers if you’re caught in brawls around here! All that will end now! You are all soldiers of the Scarburg Mead Hall from now on and I will tolerate no factious attitudes… And that means also you from the king’s hall. As long as you serve here you serve under the Scarburg Mead Hall. I’m not going to look past any arrogance on your side either.”

Turning back to Lithor Athanar concluded his verdict. “So, you Lithor will be, on top of your normal status, the one in charge of general maintenance of the gear, leading with your example. When both Thornden and Coenred here testify you have been the model of a soldier for younger ones to look upon for a month or two, I will revisit that order and consider releasing you from these added duties. But if I hear a talk of treachery by you I'm quite ready to send you to be heard by the king himself, and trust me, the court in Eodras is not the gentlest one... The hearing is dismissed.”

He nodded to Lithor and his sons, and then to Coenred and Thornden. “You can take the soldiers to the drill.”

He was exhausted and needed a drink.