View Single Post
Old 12-22-2003, 06:33 PM   #8
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"And what about yourself? Are you here often?" Melisil asked.

Eruisto made an attempt to look humble and like he was trying to find a way around the question that would not force him to brag, but he was pretty sure it wasn't working. "Well, I'm a traveller as well, and I'm here myself for a brief respite, though it may be longer if I find myself comfortable here." He took a sip of his drink, and studied her face for a moment. There was something a little odd about it, but he couldn't tell what it was.

She was certainly pretty enough for two people, and young as well, but there was an odd quality about her, an aura, though Eruisto didn't use that word, an overlay of something that Eruisto couldn't define. Something older and wiser and sadder than her pretty face suggested.

He took another sip as he thought about it, then a thought burst over him, and he almost choked on his ale. She couldn't be...in all his travels...she was an elf! Well-travelled though he might be, he'd never met an elf before. "You're..." he began, still choking a little, and Melisil looked quizzically at him. He coughed, and tried to smile casually while he thought of a cover-up. "You're, uh, from..." Bad idea. "You're staying here at least overnight, then?" Inwardly Eruisto breathed a sigh of relief. Not his best cover ever, but it would do. He sat back in his chair and awaited her answer.