View Single Post
Old 08-26-2003, 01:41 PM   #33
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Digging ditches is a possibility - since they are doing this all by hand it would require many, many of them in this effort which would be good. And they could clear brush away from the established fireline.

But cutting down trees is somewhat implausible, given the tools they had to work with - felling a single tree could be a whole day's operation.

The fire would need to be in a large isolated copse if you didn't want it spreading from tree top to tree top and rushing toward the villages. Perhaps one that abuts up against a tall, bare hillside - maybe one with a little cave the children think they will be safe in.

I did ask my husband (he just finished managing a large forest fire where we live) what he thought would happen given the possible technology of that time. He could see establishing a cleared, fireline - then he added - 'Their best hope would be that the wind changed and blew the fire back in on itself.' That, of course, would be even more dangerous for the trapped children.

As to how they would go through the fire - some would need to bear a water source - those going inside the fire perimeter would need to keep their clothes wet, a wet cloth over their hair, and a wet bandana tied across their nose and mouths to breath through.

Just some suggestions - are we looking at only one day or ? for this rescue to take place?