View Single Post
Old 08-14-2003, 10:44 PM   #7
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Annunfuiniel's Character - Mausi Honeysuckle

NAME: Mausi Honeysuckle (her children call her Mima)

RACE: Hobbit (Stoor)

WEAPONS: shears and needles; quick wits

APPEARANCE: Years have treated this hobbit kindly when it comes to looks: her cheeks and lips are as rosy as in her tweens and her brown eyes are bright, usually glinting with a smile. Wavy nut brown hair graces her head. She is of average height for a hobbit of those times, reaching just over four feet. She prefers greens and blues in her dresses; yellow is for parties. Over her dress or apron she girds a pocket where she carries her shears, several hanks of string and some other useful item. A bunch of keys also hangs from her waist, clinking as she walks.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Mausi is a friendly, approachable, and generous person and generally good-natured though at times sharp-worded. She is naturally quite talkative, especially with family and friends. Those in difficult or unfortunate circumstances are always close to her heart. She can be firm, positive, and independent in her own ideas and in reaching her own decisions which is sometimes seen by others as obstinacy - and maybe rightly so. Under conditions of stress she may inadvertently react in temper or stubbornness that she later regrets.

Mausi has to plan things ahead to be able to support her family but secretly she enjoys every break in the routines; unexpected opportunities for meeting people, story telling, singing... Emotion and feeling, the desire to be friendly, happy, and a good mother, are the driving forces in her being rather than material success; she wants to do her work well and as long as her family survives with what she earns she is content.

HISTORY: For everyone who is interested in genealogy: Mausi is Cami Goodchild’s (later Oldbuck) - Yes! our Shire mod’s – great-granddaughter in the seventh generation, a descendent of Holly Oldbuck. (To learn how this is possible check In the Shadow of the Star RPG.) Mausi’s kin married into the Fallohide line and entered Eriador about 1150 TA. They eventually settled on the banks of the river Hoarwell (Mitheithel), near the Last Bridge.

For nearly one hundred and fifty years the hobbits dwelled there in peace. But then the realm of Angmar rose and fear spread over the lands as the servants of the Witch-king carried all before them. Mausi had to flee with her husband Meliodias and their three children. The flight was full of horrors; a chaotic nightmare that separated families and family members. (When the raids began Mausi and her family fled west whereas her parents and siblings strolled south, and they lost contact). But the heaviest blow for her was the loss of her dear husband: Meliodas gave his life to save his family
Mausi and her children settled first in Staddle; the young widow’s neighbours helped her in delving a small burrow. Rosco Woodfarer and his brother became very close to Mausi and her children. Soon she could provide for her family with the small but steady income she got from working as a seamstress. But times became worse with the drought and the little family had to move to Bree to survive.

FAMILY: Daughter Hollyella, usually just Ella (10), sons Redmond, or Mondy for short (8) and Kalimac, or Kali for short (6) (see profile below).

Child's Character - Andreth Woolthistle

NAME: Andreth Woolthistle

RACE: Man

WEAPONS: Growing up in a family with five brothers, Andreth learned how to handle a bow at an early age, much to her parents’ dismay. On a day-to-day basis, however, her more usual “weapon” is a good, hearty broom to chase patrons out of the Prancing Pony when they are not being cooperative.

APPEARANCE: Andreth’s most distinguishing feature is her mop of brownish-red curls and her plethora of freckles. She is a woman who cannot sit down. As the proprietor of the Prancing Pony, she is continually active, running from one end of the Inn to the other with her long hair streaming out behind her. Her bright green eyes clearly reflect whatever emotion she is feeling. She is unusually tall for a woman, and sometimes uses her height to keep visitors to the Pony, male and female, in line.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: By nature, Andreth is kind-hearted and helpful, genuinely concerned about those around her who’ve had a harder time in life than she. Yet she is also a person who will not suffer fools easily, and can easily lose her temper when confronted with irritating behavior or stiff-necked opinions that seem to be little more than a cover for stupidity and ignorance. In her capacity as Innkeeper, she has seen too many instances of this among the numerous guests who frequent the Pony.

Although normally energetic and outgoing, Andreth has discovered that life isn’t as simple or easy as she once thought. Brigands roaming the countryside near Bree were responsible for slaying her husband while he was making a short journey to neighboring communities to buy needed provisions for the Inn. She is trying to pull herself out of her grief and focus on life. Her efforts have been complicated by the fact that she must deflect a host of suitors who’ve appeared on her doorstep, hoping to get a chance to become the new proprietor of the Pony.

HISTORY: Andreth is a daughter of one of the oldest families in Bree. She has family stories that suggest her ancestors were descendents of some of the original men of Dunland who founded Bree in the Second Age.

FAMILY: Andreth has a son Edmund who’s seven years old. (See profile below)

Child's character - Kali Honeysuckle

NAME: Kalimac (Kali) Honeysuckle

RACE: Hobbit (Stoor/Fallohide mix)

WEAPONS: His own two good fists!

APPEARANCE: Unlike his older brother and sister, little Kali seems to hearken back to the Stoor heritage of his mother. He is short and chunky, and has even been known to put on a pair of boots when the weather is muddy. He has curly brown hair and brown eyes.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Nothing makes Kali happier than to run down to the pond to swim and fish. He dreams of someday building a boat and sailing away across the sea, much to the dismay of his mother. For now, however, he must deal with the harsh realities of his immediate life. His father died when he was only one year old, and Kali often wonders what his dad looked like, and why he can’t be here with him.

When the children of the Big Folk tease Kali, it bothers him even more than it does his brother or sister. Yet Kali is less afraid of the Big Folk than they are and has been known to go up to one and start a conversation, an action that sometimes brings problems.

Kali has a special love for tales about Elves and longs to meet one someday. He wants to learn to read and write so that he will be able to record all the tales he has heard.

HISTORY/ FAMILY: See profile for Mausi Honeysuckle

Joint post for Annunfuiniel's and Child's characters Mausi, Andreth, and Kali

Mausi let down her needlework and rubbed her eyes. Three hours of stitching in a row doesn’t do good for anyone’s sight she mused and tried to rest her blurred gaze by looking into the distance. Bright late-morning sun peeked inside from the southern window. Mausi shrugged her shoulders and eyed her accomplishments with mixed feelings: the job was almost ready but it had been a simple task from the beginning - the small, moss green jacket had only needed some patching and new buttons. The money that I get from this work will be spent quicker than Mondy manages to get into new trouble! Mausi grinned sadly. A heavy sigh escaped her lips. How gladly she would have sewn a totally new jacket! But who could afford to make such an order nowadays?

Mausi was just about to pick up the sewing from her lap for a final touch when she heard the front door fly open and the sound of light, quick-paced footsteps filled the air. Mausi startled but then smiled: “Kali, my dear! Please don’t run while inside. Remember what happened the last t…” Her voice trailed off as she heard another, much heavier step. Who could that possibly be? she wondered and stood up, placing her work on the kitchen table beside her.

“Kali?” she asked, now in an alarmed tone.

“Mima!” the boy exclaimed as he burst into the kitchen and ran straight to his mother’s lap.

“Kali, what’s wrong?” Mausi questioned anxiously as she saw the trails of dried tears striping her son’s dingy face; “Where are the others?” She forgot about the other footsteps until a large figure filled the doorway. Mausi held her child tighter in her arms and spoke, unable to hide her nervousness: “Who is it? What have you done that scared my son like this?”

The shadow hesitated but Kali finally opened his mouth: “Mima, this is my new friend. She has done nothing wrong. Please be kind to her. It was the big boys… They called me names and…and…I want to learn to read, Mima!”

Mausi was perplexed, to say the least: “Read? What has reading got to do with all this?” The shadowy figure moved cautiously inside and Mausi saw a woman, one of the Big Folk. She gasped but then controlled her expression. This isn’t the first time you’ve see one of them, you fool!

Although Mausi’s little cottage had extremely lofty rooms for a Hobbit dwelling, the woman was tall even for one of the big folk. She had to bend and dodge the chandelier that hung high above the Hobbit heads. After a short but awkward silence Mausi found her words again, “I apologize for my heedless words! I am Mausi Honeysuckle, Kali’s mother, as you probably have gathered already. May I now ask for your name?”

Mausi eyed the stranger still somewhat suspicious though her son’s words had been reassuring. The woman’s face seemed familiar to Mausi and suddenly like a stroke of lightning it dawned on her: The innkeeper! That’s who she is!

The taller woman extended her hand in greeting to Mausi. “I’m sorry that I startled you so. But your son insisted I come in to meet you. My name is Andreth Thistlewool. I’m the proprietor of the Prancing Pony.”

Andreth turned around to face Mausi, “I found Kali hurt and crying on the back steps of the Inn. Some of the big lads were teasing him. I’m sorry for that.”

“And what did they say to him?” Mausi bristled. She turned her eyes from the innkeeper to her son, but the little boy clammed up and refused to talk.

The larger woman’s face went beet red as she turned to face Mausi. “I’m afraid some of these lads need discipline. They were calling him names, and said he was stupid…” What Andreth did not say was that, much to her embarrassment, her own son Edmund had gone along with the group who’d been tormenting the boy.

At this point the younger lad piped up, blinking back his tears, “Bill, the big one, called me a ‘rabbit’. He said I was too dumb to learn my letters and numbers.” The boy shifted his gaze downward.

Andreth flinched uncomfortably, “I’m so sorry, Mistress Honeysuckle. Some children can be incredibly rude. But I’m afraid there’s even worse than that. Two of the lads stole your son’s hat and flung it about the courtyard, forcing him to go chasing after them.”

As the full explanation came out Mausi’s cheeks flushed with anger though she tried to hold herself back. This won’t do anymore! she mused and then spoke aloud, “Kali, could you go and get Ella and Mondy here.”

Then she realized what was wrong with the whole picture, “Where are they anyway? They were supposed to look after you.” Kali sensed his siblings were in big trouble and kept silent, staring down at his dusty toes.

The innkeeper glanced at him but then turned around to address Mausi, “There were two young Hobbits coming from the Gate as we entered, a boy and a girl. Maybe these were the ones you’re looking for?”

“Most likely so.” Mausi sighed, “They have probably seen something “interesting” again and gone to take a closer look at whatever it is without further thought. Kali, run now and call for them - they can’t be far - I need Mondy to do something for me.”

The young lad still hesitated. “No, they are not in trouble if they come right away.” Mausi assured him, smiling at her younger son’s concern.

Kali ran off, returning soon with his siblings. Mondy and Ella's enthusiastic babbling could be heard as soon as the front door opened. But with them came a third hobbit; a tall and slender man in a patched grey cloak.

"Ro-... Mr. Woodfarer! Just the hobbit I hoped to see!" Mausi exclaimed and hurried the few paces to the door to greet the newcomer.

Rosco Woodfarer took the hand that was extended to him in greeting and shook it lightly, feeling Mausi's strong grip. Still rocking on his heels on the doorstep Rosco scanned the room in front of him. Mister? he frowned. The hobbits had called themselves by first names for years now, except among total strangers. 'What...?' the question didn't have time to form in his mind before his eyes fixed on the red-haired woman.

An awkward silence fell to the room as even Ella and Mondy hushed to stare at the 'biggie' (as they named all of the Big Folk), swaying between fear and curiosity. But Rosco's blue eyes flew from one woman to the other and seeing Mausi's strained face he jumped into conclusions.

"What is this?" he addressed his words to Mausi. "Is there a problem?" His gaze shifted to the innkeeper.

Andreth moved uneasily but Mausi's face reddened at her friend's impoliteness. Then she raised her hands to her hips. "There are some problems indeed..." Mausi began, "-but not with her!" She hissed from between her teeth and beckoned Rosco to come further inside. "...and Miss Woolthistle here was so kind as to bring them to my knowledge. We-"

The front door opened and a gust of wind swept through the rooms, once again carrying the sound of footsteps. What a market! Mausi sighed and spun round, nailing her gaze to the doorway.....

Additional post for Child's character Andreth Thistlewool

Grimly reflecting on the specific punishment she would dole out to Edmund for his part in this ill-mannered escapade, Andreth clambered into the pony cart and flicked the reins over Bettercup's back. Thank goodness Kali hadn’t guessed Edmund was her son, or mentioned his part in this affair to Mausi. The woman might never have spoken with her. Edmund was only seven years old, yet already he’d picked up the rude language and behavior of the older boys when it came to dealing with hobbit children.

She remembered the group of bullying lads and sighed. There were enough real problems in life to keep everyone busy in these hard times. No need to go out and create others that were totally unnecessary.

Andreth navigated her cart down the main street of Bree, carefully skirting the large potholes, and pulled up in front of the Inn. But before she could run inside to speak with Edmund or ask the stable lad to unhitch Buttercup, she could see another problem already brewing on the front steps. A noisy throng of guests had gathered near the entrance to the Pony; she could hear their voices rising and falling as they pressed foward with insistent questions, bantering back and forth with a tall gentleman dressed in Ranger’s gear. Andreth placed her hands on her hips and inwardly groaned as she took in this scene of mounting confusion. Then she curtly reminded herself to keep her tongue in check.

Several of the guests stood over to one side reading a placard that had been nailed up near the entrance to the Inn. As this group noticed Andreth approaching, one of the men whirled around and spat out his indignation, “Are you going to let this stranger post notices without permission? Humpf! How do we know it’s true? I haven’t seen any bandits lurking on my doorstep. And to suggest we cooperate with those sniveling hobbits! It’s preposterous. If your husband was alive, Andreth Thistlewool, he’d put a quick end to this. This is what comes of letting unattached women run an Inn!"

"And, as for you….” The gentleman stepped forward with his fist raised against the Ranger.

Just as Ned the Miller was about to leap out and intervene, Andreth bounded from the cart and elbowed her way through the crowd, pushing several guests aside until she stood face-to-face with the Ranger who presided over the mob. Her eyes flashed with indignation.

“What’s all this? Who gave you permission to post that notice on the Inn and incite my guests? I’m Andreth, the proprietor here, and I demand to know what’s going on!” She stepped back and stared at the tall figure of the Ranger. He looked at her with a hint of a grin on his face, an expression that registered halfway between amusement and resignation. Then, he gestured towards the placard that was posted near the front door. There, at the bottom of the board, in a conspicuous spot, was the signature and raised seal of the Mayor.

Andreth looked embarassed and bit her tongue. Whatever this was, it was no mere jest. She reached out a welcoming hand to the Ranger and added regretfully, “I’m sorry. It’s not been a good day. I should have looked before I spoke. Please, if you have a moment, step inside and explain what’s happening. Some of my patrons are upset, and I may have to explain things to them.”

With that the tall, willowy figure of the proprietor and the rugged one of the Ranger disappeared down a side corridor of the Inn, heading towards a room that Andreth used as her private office. In the distance she could hear the stubborn protests of her young son Edmund who was already leading Cook on a merry chase through the kitchen and the pantries.

[ September 15, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]