View Single Post
Old 09-11-2004, 08:34 PM   #29
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye

"Four weeks ago, we started hearing reports of livestock disappearing in the area just east of Bree, which was somewhat disturbing considering the fact that the area had been completely quiet for almost twenty years. At first I put it down to increased numbers of wolves and other predators, but when people started disappearing we knew it had to be more than that. I sent out a scouting party two weeks ago, but there hasn't been any word from them since. It's a good thing you got that message I sent." said Thoronmir.

Veryadan spread a delicately thin layer of parchment over the map he’d placed on the table, securing it with four small, round, sand-packed leather weights. The dark, thick lines and letters he’d used on the original showed through clearly enough, and he took out his quill and ink, quickly sketching in a rough outline of the areas and a hasty scribble of each place name. Taking his place at the top of the map, he asked the two other Rangers to stand opposite him.

‘Now show us, if you will, where the attacks have been reported – and what sort of attack it was, and when each occurred if you have that information. I’ll mark them in as you go along, and we’ll see if any pattern emerges.

The room was hushed save for the murmurings of the two Rangers as they conferred with one another. A finger would then reach out to tap the parchment lightly. Veryadan marked each with a small ‘X’, then put a few abbreviated notes alongside each. The map eventually showed several points on the map, mostly between Bree and the Greyflood.

"I think their most likely base of operations would be at Weathertop." Veryadan pointed to the hill that was almost dead center of the attack sites on the map.

"The attacks appear to be spreading out farther and farther out," Menecar observed.

"If kept unchecked, they could threaten the Angle, Rivendell, Annuminas, and our own base of operations in Evendim." Thoronmir added. "Aidwain and Silrûth, I believe you are both from Rivendell," he said to the elves. "How far into the Trollshaws would you say they have come?"

Last edited by Meneltarmacil; 09-11-2004 at 08:56 PM.